10 Inspirational Quotes From Nelson Mandela On What Would’ve Been His 100th Birthday
As we have seen over the last 540-plus days of the sh-t storm of awfulness and hatred that the Donald Trump presidency has brought us, being a good leader isn’t easy. Some will come into power thinking that it’s really not that much different than running a business. Or they think they are smarter than their constituents and therefore won’t be questioned. But the truly inspiring, society-changing and genuinely good leaders hear a calling far deeper than their own ego. They are global citizens who aspire for and hope to inspire change. They want to leave the world just a little bit better than they found it. Nelson Mandela was one of these leaders.
Madiba, as he was affectionately called, not only helped to usher in the end of apartheid in South Africa but served as the nation’s first Black president. With stunning charisma, an incredible intellect and a true passion for the betterment of the global community, Mandela reigns as one of the most stunning examples of what our leaders can do and can be. In honor of what would have been his 100th birthday, MadameNoire is pleased to celebrate Nelson Mandela with a collection of some of his most inspiring and memorable quotes.
1. “It always seems impossible until it’s done.”
2. “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
3. “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
4. “Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.”
5. “A fundamental concern for others in our individual and community lives would go a long way in making the world the better place we so passionately dreamt of.”
6. “For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.”
7. “Action without vision is only passing time, vision without action is merely day dreaming, but vision with action can change the world.”
8. “Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.”
9. “There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.”
10. “No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”