All Articles Tagged "Terry Cews"
Chaka Khan’s tribute video to Trayvon Martin has the feel of Michael Jackson’s 1985 charity single “We Are the World.” The singer debuted the song “Super Life” to the world yesterday and she enlisted a ton of singers, actors, and entertainers to help spread the message about the injustice surrounding the teenager’s death.
From Eric Benet, Kelly Price, and Luke James on vocals, to actors and actresses like Angela Bassett and her husband Courtney B. Vance, Terry Crews and his wife, Rebecca, Loretta Devine, Eva Marcille, and Boris Kodjoe, the tribute is a raw video of the entertainers in the studio together wearing shirts and hoodies in the slain teen’s honor and announcing, “I am Trayvon Martin. Chaka Khan said the purpose of the song is
“to raise awareness in children and adults and everybody that you can’t judge a person by what he’s wearing.
“I really feel strongly about our children, period, and their safety,” she said. “We’re concerned about children’s safety.”
The project literally just came together over the weekend. Chaka Khan said within 48 hours everyone came out to Henson Studios in Hollywood to be apart of the effort. Since everything happened so fast there hasn’t been any mention of making the track available for purchase or where any proceeds might go, but the funk singer wrote this on her website:
“Celebrities are privileged beyond belief to have a public following. We have explored and exploited media to our own benefits. Now it’s time to exploit media for the benefit of humanity as a whole. As purveyors of content and media, we need to use our voices to stop injustice at the site of its origin.”
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- True Life: I’m A Girlfriend To A Man In An Open Marriage…Part II
- Don’t Get It Twisted: 7 Big Misconceptions About Virgins
- Keep Rising To The Top: Supporting Actresses Who Became Leading Ladies
- 7 Ridiculous Celebrity Rumors People Actually Believe
- Missing Detroit Women Found Buried In Shallow Grave
- Love Without A Limit: Why Women Stay In Bad Relationships
- IRS Taking Every Penny From Nas Album Sales Until His Debt Is Paid
- Vogue Italia’s Haute Mess And The High Theft Of Black Culture”