All Articles Tagged "sybrina fulton"
Last year we were shocked to learn that for their annual “Women of The Year” edition, Glamour magazine neglected to highlight a single black woman. So last year we created our own list of black women who did their thang in 2011. We thought it was such a good idea, that we decided to continue the tradition, so here are the black women who’ve made moves in 2012.
We never tire of talking about our first lady…never. She’s the bees knees. We love Michelle for her fashion choices, the love and dedication she has for her daughters and the support she provides for her husband. We appreciate the causes she’s picked up as First Lady, military families and addressing childhood obesity, since she’s been in the White House. But most importantly, as a black woman I love that Michelle is intelligent, yet doesn’t take herself too seriously. She’s accomplished but she’s never shy about talking about where she comes from and encouraging others to follow in her footsteps. I love that little black girls can see a woman of her background and education in such an elevated position. It would be silly to say that she represents all black women; but if someone had never met or interacted with another black woman, Michelle Obama is a great place to start as a shining example of who we are and what we can accomplish.
Trayvon Martin’s mother, Sybrina Fulton is being sued by Travelers Casualty and Surety Company of America–an insurance company trying to remove themselves from any responsibility of the unarmed teen’s death at the hands of George Zimmerman, according to an attorney for Martin’s family. Not only did the insurance company come for Fulton, they came for the The Retreat at Twin Lakes Homeowner’s Association–the gated community Martin was fatally shot in.
According to the Huffington Post, Travelers Casualty and Surety Company of America claims that it is not responsible to defend the homeowners association because of various clauses in the association’s policy, specifically a “wrongful act” exclusion. Benjamin Crump, the Martin family attorney told HuffPo, “It’s real simple: They are filing against the homeowners association and Sybrina because we are making a claim against them.”
Read the rest of this story over at HelloBeautiful.com
More on Madame Noire!
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of Juice
- So Serena Williams’ Victory C-Walk Is a Controversy Now?
- Evening Eye Candy: The Pretty, Hot and Tempting Men Of Track & Field In The 2012 Olympics
- MN Exclusive: Singer Leela James on Her Start in Music and Etta James
- Tatyana Ali, A.K.A. “Mona O’Neil” Goes In On VH1 Reality TV Producers
- Did You Know They Dated? Part II: 11 MORE Surprising Secret Lovers and Boos We Didn’t Know About
- 7 Black Celebrities Who Suprisingly Practice or Dabbled In Scientology
Following in the footsteps of Sybrina Fulton and her touching Mother’s Day PSA about Trayvon Martin and the problems with the “Stand Your Ground” law, Tracy Martin has put out his own PSA about his son, his first Father’s Day without Trayvon, and the need to combat “Stand Your Ground” laws and help prevent a Father’s Day where 30,000 fathers will be without their sons. Those were the statistics presented for the number of sons and daughters slain through gun violence just last year alone.
The video is one that tugs at the heart strings, especially when images of Trayvon and Tracy are presented (especially the one where Tracy is kissing his son on the cheek).The main point of the video seems to be that it’s important for people to contact their governors and ask them to re-examine the “Stand Your Ground” laws that stand across the country. There are about 25 in all. If you know anybody who has been killed by senseless acts of violence involving firearms, I’m sure you can understand Tracy’s pain, and can feel him when he says, “Life can be beautiful.” To help do your part, go to SecondChanceOnShootFirst.org to gain more information on the many reckless gun laws and what you can do to help put a halt to them. Until then, check out the video below and let us know your thoughts. Happy Father’s Day Mr. Martin.
More on Madame Noire!
- Cute Kid Alert: Diddy Shows Love to Chance, Christian and Justin for Graduating, Charlize Takes Jackson Out & More
- The Woman Behind The Baller: Amar’e's Fiance Dishes On How They Met, Her Move To NYC, and The Grand Proposal
- Madame On The Street: Who Should You NOT Take Relationship Advice From?
- You Could’ve Kept That: 9 Movie Remakes and Sequels That Shouldn’t Have Seen the Light of Day
- Don’t Be His Fool, or His Doormat: Excuses Women Need to Stop Making For Men
- Jealous? Why You Should Be At Peace With Yourself Before Entering A Relationship
- Like A Fine Glass Of Wine: 8 Hollywood Leading Ladies Who Have Aged Gracefully
Two weeks ago, the For Sybrina Project was launched. We asked you to send your Mother’s Day cards, letters and message for Sybrina Fulton and the response has been Enormous! We’ve received hundreds of tweets, letters, poems and videos from you, showing love to Trayvon Martin’s mother in time for Mother’s Day.
There’s still time to submit your own Mother’s Day message. You can see how below.
Mother’s Day is a day to honor our mothers and show our love. This year, Sybrina Fulton, Trayvon Martin’s mother, will face her first Mother’s Day without her son, Trayvon.
Huffington Post BlackVoices, in partnership with Michaela Angela Davis and MAD FREE, wants to show love and support to Trayvon Martin’s mother on this special day. We need your help.
Join us and be a part of the For Sybrina Project! Share your words of love, encouragement, photos, drawing, cards and letters (be creative!) and help us compile a Mother’s Day gift for Sybrina Fulton that will help her know she’s not alone on Mother’s Day.
Find out you can send your love to Sybrina at BlackVoices.com
More on Madame Noire!
- Bonjou! 8 Famous Folks You Might Not Have Known Were Creole
- True Life: He Proposed to Me!
- I Had Such High Hopes: Hair Products That Looked Good But Didn’t Produce Results
- Looking For Trouble: 5 Signs You’re a Bully (And Could Use an A** Whoopin’)
- Battle Of The Bulge: 8 Celebs Who Have Yo-Yo’ed With Their Weight
- Corporate Curls: The Struggle To Wear My Natural Hair As a TV Reporter”
- The Kids Are All Right: Nick & Mariah Share New Pics of Roc & Roe