All Articles Tagged "Omar Sy"
Earlier this year, the French foreign film, “The Intouchables” caused a bit of a stir on American soil which is why it’s odd the movie is supposedly being remade right here in the good old U.S. of A. The story is about a black man from a low-income housing project being hired to take care of a rich white quadriplegic and it was rather successful in France, garnering actor Omar Sy the equivalent of an Oscar for best man. But here in America, many took Omar’s character Driss’s unfamiliarity with French high society as a modern day example of Uncle Tom, or even a performing monkey, as one critic put it, and they wrote the film off.
That response hasn’t phased “Bridesmaids” director Paul Feig one bit though, because according to the NY Post, he is gearing up for an American remake of the film and a few of our favorite actors are said to be circling the lead role: Jamie Foxx, Idris Elba, and Chris Rock. Those are three very different personalities in line for a film that has the potential to be a huge hit in the U.S., possibly even more so because of the controversy. The French version, which is now being shown in the States, grossed $349 million internationally, according to the Post, and it could possibly spell and Oscar nod for one of these fellas too.
Colin Firth is said to be in talks to take on the other lead role which was originally played by Francois Cluzet, and Michelle Williams or Jessica Chastain could land the lead female part. Though the movie is light-hearted and has some comedic relief, I can’t see Chris Rock in this part at all. I feel a little torn between Jamie Foxx and Idris Elba, but I feel like Jamie seems a bit more personable and may be perfect for this type of character but Idris could be a great choice too.
Check out the trailer for the French film to get an idea of the plot. Who would be your top pick?
More on Madame Noire!
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of Coming to America
- Is It True That Men Don’t Want To Get Married?
- Single Black Male: Stop Giving Up the Cookies Ladies, Men WILL Wait for Sex
- Where Are They Now? Now Defunct “Making The Band” Groups: Da Band and Danity Kane
- Don’t Be His Fool, or His Doormat: Excuses Women Need to Stop Making For Men
- Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow: Will I Lose My Femininity With My Hair Length?
- LIVIN’ LARGE! Celebs Who Made It BIG By Being BIG