All Articles Tagged "kim williams"
Webseries have become the holy grail for black people in the film industry who are tired of sitting around waiting for opportunities to tell their stories, and we’re increasingly seeing even established actors and film producers jump on the trend. Aasha Davis of the critically acclaimed film “Pariah” has recently gotten into the game as the star of a new series on the drama that unfolds in the workplace, “The Unwritten Rules.”
The series was created by Kim Williams and is based on her book, 40 Hours and an Unwritten Rule: The Diary of a N***er, Negro, Colored, Black, African-American Woman. She says the webseries
“examines the comedic realities of being an African-American in a predominantly white workplace.”
Pretty much all of us have been there at some point or another so it shouldn’t be too hard to find a situation we can identify with. Aasha Davis, who plays the lead role of Racey Jones, says the series is both entertaining and expository, opening up a dialogue on issues we all know exists but only talk about amongst ourselves.
“The series immediately made me laugh because, it reminded me of stories that my sister would tell me about working in corporate offices and in the same turn it made me nervous because it was exposing those type of stories I only felt comfortable enough to discuss with someone like my sister. I’m really attracted to stories like the Unwritten Rules’ because they inspire interesting and sometimes difficult conversations.”
When I watch the trailer I can’t help but think of Awkward Black Girl because of Aasha’s sarcasm, although she has a slightly different style of delivery. So far, four episodes have aired, and a new one comes out every Wednesday. Check out a couple episodes here and tell us what you think.
More on Madame Noire!
- It Must Be the Money: 7 Swag-Based Celeb Crushes That We Don’t Understand
- Love Is To ‘Love & Hip-Hop’ What Real Wives Are To ‘Basketball Wives’: Ain’t None
- Single Black Male: Stop Giving Up the Cookies Ladies, Men WILL Wait for Sex
- Where Are They Now? Now Defunct “Making The Band” Groups: Da Band and Danity Kane
- Are You Dealing With a Real Man Or A Little Boy? 7 Signs You’ve Got a Grown A** Man
- Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow: Will I Lose My Femininity With My Hair Length?
- Is There Such A Thing As Natural Beauty? My Journey Away From Make-Up
Being one of a few, if not the only black person, at your job can be everything from annoying to straight up stressful. This is nothing new. If you’ve grown up in diverse environments, you know just how ignorant people can be when it comes to communicating with people of color. Actress, Kim Williams, feels our pain. Which is why she’s created a new webseries called, The Unwritten Rules. The series, humorously explores the challenges (specifically ignorane and stereotypes) an African American woman faces in a predominately white work place. She recently debuted her first episode.
Check it out and let us know if you can relate…
More on Madame Noire!
- Ask a Very Smart Brotha Live: The Cheating Scale & Adult Videos
- Find a Solution to Your Suffering Sex Life
- Disappearing Acts: Why Men Suddenly Stop Calling
- Malinda Williams Is Not Feeling ‘Think Like A Man’
- Bruised But Not Broken: 10 Ways to Cure Heartbreak
- What’s The Big Deal About The Lack Of Black ‘Girls?’
- Skincare Q&A: Photo Sensitivity, Combination Skin and Dark Circles
- Haute Hair Accessory: Clip-Ins (Starting Under $100 Too!)