All Articles Tagged "Kenneth Lester"
Both George Zimmerman and his wife, Shellie, have found themselves behind bars because of Trayvon Martin’s killing. Nearly two weeks ago a judge revoked George Zimmerman’s bond after it was brought to the court’s attention that the couple actually had more money than they claimed due to donations George received related to the case. The judge told George he had 48 hours to return to custody and now his wife has been arrested on a charge of perjury.
Seminole County deputies took Shellie Zimmerman, 25, into custody about 3:30 pm yesterday after they were informed by the office of State Attorney Angela Corey that a warrant had been issued for her arrest. The order charged George’s wife with knowingly making false statements during the April 20 bond hearing in which she and her husband failed to mention they had raised at least $135,000 in a PayPal account.
Shellie was booked into John E. Polk Correctional Facility and later released on a $1,000 bond but George’s attorney, Mark O’Mara, said his client is still concerned about his wife.
“Now that she’s being charged with a crime he’s worried about her,” O’Mara said, adding that George is concerned because she is “out in the public eye.”
He should be just as concerned about himself in jail. Yesterday the court released Seminole County Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester’s order revoking George’s bond, and though he’s pushing for a new bond hearing, the odds of him being released again aren’t in his favor. Judge Lester said:
“There are several factors that weigh against his release … Most importantly, though, is the fact that he has now demonstrated that he does not properly respect the law or the integrity of the judicial process.”
We knew that from the night of Trayvon’s murder, but at least things seem to be moving in the right direction. What do you think about Shellie’s arrest?
More on Madame Noire!
- Cute Kid Alert: Diddy Shows Love to Chance, Christian and Justin for Graduating, Charlize Takes Jackson Out & More
- The Woman Behind The Baller: Amar’e's Fiance Dishes On How They Met, Her Move To NYC, and The Grand Proposal
- Madame On The Street: Who Should You NOT Take Relationship Advice From?
- You Could’ve Kept That: 9 Movie Remakes and Sequels That Shouldn’t Have Seen the Light of Day
- Don’t Be His Fool, or His Doormat: Excuses Women Need to Stop Making For Men
- Jealous? Why You Should Be At Peace With Yourself Before Entering A Relationship
- Like A Fine Glass Of Wine: 8 Hollywood Leading Ladies Who Have Aged Gracefully
George Zimmerman is heading back to jail after a judge revoked his bond today. Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester said that George Zimmerman and his wife, Shellie, misled the court when they claimed they had limited funds because Zimmerman was a full-time nursing student. The couple failed to mention the website they’d set up for donations which is why his bond was set for $150,000 in April. But when prosecutors learned just how many Americans were sending their support for this man via paypal, they claimed Zimmerman had $135,000 available via the site and that’s why he’s been ordered to return to jail within 48 hours.
“He can’t sit back and obtain the benefit of a lower bond based upon those material falsehoods,” judge Lester told the court.
Prosecutor Bernie De la Rionda echoed those same sentiments despite Defense attorney Mark O’Mara’s claim that “there was no deceit” on the part of Zimmerman and his wife.
“This court was led to believe they didn’t have a single penny,” De la Rionda said. “It was misleading and I don’t know what words to use other than it was a blatant lie.”
Good thing the judge felt the same way. Zimmerman has two days to relax in the comfort of his home before re-entering into custody, and he might as well get comfortable. The trial for Trayvon Martin’s killing isn’t expected to begin until sometime next year.
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Allow Me To Vent: Why I Can’t Take The Black Salon Culture
- Where Are They Now? 10 Black Actresses Who Should Have Blown Up Big…
- How Important Is Sex? My Journey Through Celibacy and Dating
- Cute Kid Alert: Roc and Roe Continue Jet-setting, Solange and Daniel, DWade’s Fam and More
- True Life: The Revenge Was Sweet…or Sour
- Kanye I Want You To Take Your Own Advice: Drive Slow Homie
- Uh, Somebody Lied to You: 8 Misconceptions About Single Black Women