All Articles Tagged "hair color"
Hair highlights is one of the easiest ways to give your strands a boost in vibrancy, color and most importantly, fun. The right colors can maximize your style and set you apart in a sea of one-toned colored heads. We chose seven different ways to highlight your hair, inspired by the stars who wear them best.
From the most conservative to the most daring, high-lights, low-lights, ombre’s, and colorful patches, the days of rocking your au’ natural hair color are on its way out, if not already.
Check out these starlets who rock colored ‘dos well and get inspiration for your own tresses at StyleBlazer.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- Dating While Separated? You Were Asking For Trouble Adrian Wilson
- He Had That Masculine Thing DOWN: 8 Mannish R&B Singers
- Should Non-African Blacks Be Cast in African Roles?
- The Black Snob Sounds Off: The 7 Kinds of Men Who Make Life Miserable For Everyone
- 6 Times You’ll Have To Accept No Sex For A While
- That’s My Cousin! Famous Black Celebrities Who Are Related
- MN Exclusive: Tashera Simmons on Why Therapy Was “Life Changing” For Her and DMX
- 4 DIY Home-Made Facial Masks To Rejuvenate Your Skin
By Chrissi J
I’m sure that many of us know that gray hairs can have a mind of their own. Once they start peeking out and being noticeable, the pieces start flying and tend to have a mind of their own.*shakes head sadly* Here are just a few simple tips for slicking them down and blending them in before they completely take over your look.
1. Flat Twist: Old-school flat twists–you’ve got to love them. Making a tiny flat twist in the front of the hair can help those gray strands stay down by blending them in with the rest of your hair during all that twisting and turning. Whether I’m styling a Silver Fox’s loose gray hair or locks, I incorporate flat twists to make sure the hairs stay in place and don’t stick out too prominently.
2. Styling Strips: This is my secret ingredient and a Silver Fox’s best friend. Once I’m done with a polished style, I’ll wrap on a styling strip around the edges before I put the client under the dryer. When finished, I slide/tear the strip off in a backward motion. NEVER pull the strip straight forward if you’re hoping to prevent a frizzy look.
Styling strips are available at most beauty supplies. I usually recommend that you use the black ones because they seem to be a bit stronger than most, and definitely look better. Put it on before you go to bed, under your silk or satin scarf, and take it off in the morning for your freshest look. Make sure to use a light gloss or sheen in the morning because the strip will soak all the oil from that area.
3. Color- A lot of people like to blend their gray hairs in with the color of their hair. When choosing a natural color to disguise your grays, I strongly recommend using Bigen brand color. It’s water-based and contains no ammonia or peroxide. You can find Bigen Color at most beauty supplies and health food stores. It’s great for black, brown, or deep red colors. The color deposits deeply and lasts a lot longer than the competition.
… And if you’re feeling funky, go blonde! Blonde blends very well with gray. #imjustsayin
Chrissi J is a hair-care specialist currently based in New York City, specializing in creative natural hairstyling and overall hair care. She is the originator of the Keepin’ It Kinky Campaign. Check out her work and videos at Keepin’ It Kinky and through her YouTube page.
More on Madame Noire!
- Shopping With the Enemy: 7 Signs You Might Have a “Frenemy” in Your Circle
- How To Cope With The Agony of Unrequited Love
- Boy, Bye!: 6 Stupid Reasons to Turn a Man Down
- 7 Things That Should Never Happen In The Bedroom
- Scent From the Heart: 10 Fragrances Perfect for Valentine’s Day
- Ish is Getting Real: Gonorrhea’s Becoming Untreatable
- Hair Q&A: Front Edges and Dry Scalp
- Don’t Get It Twisted: Mo and Kita Say Terrell Owens Betrayed Them
Who said bangs were the thing of the past? These celebrity divas clearly didn’t get that memo because they rocked their bangs with sass and style! See here at Stylebazer
More and more consumers are straying away from chemical hair dyes and looking to less harmful solutions that will lighten or darken their hair. While the more natural methods may not produce immediate noticeable colors like traditional dyes, they do work well overtime.
Here are some ways to lighten/darken your hair without having to worry about consistent damage to your hair…
Tyra has her hits and misses when it comes to the makeovers on her show. It’s no surprise that many of the girls end up going for a different look once they leave the show and sign with real world modeling agencies. Here’s to the not so disastrous moments of top model makeover history–the fierce “Ty-overs” if you will…
Just a few months ago, it was Summer and you made the big chop, natural or just plain ‘ol short, that you had been thinking about for months on end. Everyone was excited, surprised, and inspired, including yourself. But now it’s Winter, and that short cut has been working your last nerves. It’s growing back irregularly or too fast, and now you don’t know what direction to go in. Should you let your hair grow back or keep cutting? Should you put braids in to avoid the harsh Winter wind? Why is your hair so boring all of a sudden? These thoughts are prevalent around this time of year when a fluffy hat is your best friend and your hair is dryer than a cactus. So to help alleviate the stress, here are a few options for styles short haired ladies can try for the rest of this season. Some you’ll like, some you’ll hate, but whatevs, at least you now have options.