All Articles Tagged "fun"
When most celebrities were partying on New Year’s Eve, Serena Williams was in her hotel room resting. The 2012 tennis champion says she used to be that fun girl, but now calls herself “boring.”
According to the UK’s Daily Mail, Williams was in Australia over the holiday for the Brisbane International Tennis Tournament and admitted her career goals are now her priority. “I’m really boring now,” Williams said. “I used to be fun. Now for a fun time do not call me. I think I just got older, and I realized I can’t be that fun girl for the rest of my life. I could be the oldest number one [tennis champion]. I don’t know how that goes with the funnest.”
At 31 years old and ranked third in the world, Williams accomplished quite a bit in 2012: She won Wimbledon (her fifth tittle), the U.S. Open, a gold medal at the Olympics and the WTA Championship for the third time in her career. Williams also became the second woman in history to earn a career Golden Slam.
Well, these things happen. See what else Serena had to say, including comments about her new “night time problem” over on ESSENCE.
Some lessons don’t come to you immediately—some come to you as a memory or a sudden understanding of an event from your past. Often, as you progress toward better relationships, things become clear to you about a relationship that took place five years ago! So, while not all of these things happened to me firsthand this year (I don’t get around the block that much!), some event or person came into my life in 2012 that shed light on events from my past, and finally showed me the lesson from experiences which until recently were just meaningless pain. Maybe as you go into the new year, you too can turn some of your painful memories into helpful lessons.
Talk about #winning!
It has been a huge year for Frank Ocean, as he was finally able to release his first studio album, Channel Orange, to the huge legion of fans of his popular mixtape, Nostalgia, Ultra; he came out as…something (he never really specified whether he was bisexual or gay, and we don’t need to know all that at this point), and he’s basically been all over the cover of magazines and blowing up the stage with his sold-out concerts and performances on the VMAs and Saturday Night Live. Now the Odd Future member can really close out 2012 with a bang, as he’s racked up a whopping six Grammy nominations for his work on Channel Orange, including a big nod for Album of the Year.
Ocean also picked up nominations in the Record of the Year category for “Thinkin’ Bout You,” the “Best New Artist” category, and was also nominated alongside Jay-Z and Kanye West for “No Church in the Wild” as Best Rap/Sung Collaboration, and Short Form Music Video.
In a surprisingly huge nomination, our main man Miguel picked up a Song of the Year nomination for “Adorn,” and even picked up one for Best Urban Contemporary Album, where he will battle Frank Ocean and Chris Brown for the W. Miguel actually walked away with an impressive five nominations.
And yes, if you were wondering, “The Throne” that is Jay-Z and Kanye West racked up a few nominations together and separately, as did Rihanna, but these big acts didn’t manage to score any nods in the elite categories they’re used to this time around.
Going up against huge mainstream acts like Mumford & Sons, Fun., Jack White and The Black Keys, it’s hard to say whether Ocean will come out a huge winner because the Grammys have a history of going the old, indie, unconventional route with their picks, but I’m just glad to see Franky and Miguel getting their just dues in general. Good luck boys!
Check out the full list of nominees at the Grammy website.
With Declining Viewership and Staged Storylines, Are Reality TV Shows Slowly But Surely Falling Off?
More on Madame Noire!
- Golden Boys: A Final Look At Olympics Cuties From Across The World!
- Say It Ain’t So! Chad Johnson Arrested for Headbutting Evelyn Lozada
- Show ‘Em What You Working With! Video Vixens Who’ve Moved On From Shaking It Fast!
- Men Are Like Chips, You Can’t Have Just One: The 5 Boos You Need In Your Life
- The Good Guy Allergies: Why Is It That Good Guys Bore Me?
- Somebody Lied to You And Your Lacefront: 9 Celebs Who Need a Lacefront Wig Intervention
- Bajan, Baby! 10 Of Our Favorite Celebrities of Barbadian Descent (And A Few Random Surprises…)
- The Ratchet But Lovable One: And by ratchet, I mean the friend who does a lot of questionable, crazy and just straight up stupid stuff from time to time. Whether it has to do with the men she messes with (that make you say to yourself, “Oh, girl…” *proceeds to shake head*), or the career choices she makes (she’s consistently undecided on what she wants to do with her future), she’s often calling you with a very interesting story to share. But outside of all that, she’s a great friend to help cheer you up. She (or he actually) has a lighthearted sense of humor and can make you chuckle like no other when you thought you were having the worst day ever. Yeah, she’s crazy, but she’s a loyal and lovable homie.
- The Goal-Oriented And Understanding Friend: While being playful and fun is cool, you also need a friend who can understand your complaints about your career and life in general to give great advice. This lady is someone you can vent about your day to, talk about your aspirations with, and just get a second opinion from because they are going through the same stuff, or have in the past. You two are on the same wave-length and are accomplishing similar things in life. And this friend is helpful at also keeping you on your toes, and most importantly, on track, because she reminds you of the goals you want to reach, even when you’re ready to give up on them yourself.
- The Girls Just Want to Have Fun BFF: A friend to listen to you and a friend to make you laugh is cool, but you can’t forget about the friend who helps pull you out of your shell. When you let yourself get swamped at work or held down by the everyday complications of life, this friend is trying to get you to take shots at the bar. She wants to go dancing with you, to check out that new movie, to go to that after work mixer, and to just keep your life a bit more spontaneous and fun. Who knew pottery could be such a stress reliever? She’s the one that will have you calling up your other friends with a cool (or crazy) story to tell the next day.
- The Rational Homie: But after all the fun has been had, you need a friend who can help you make sense of your issues. Did your man really act like an a** at that party, or were you possibly overreacting? Do you really need another pair of those pumps, girl, or do you need to focus on trying to pay down those student loans finally? Does ‘ol boy deserve a second chance, or do you need to be reminded of the pain he put you in the last time? Rational homies aren’t really the most fun friends in the world, but they can keep your world from spinning off its axis from time to time.
- The Reciprocating Buddy: MAN! Who doesn’t love a friend who appreciates the things you do for them, and is willing to do something for you in return? And without being asked!? Best. Friend. Ever. Too often you have those “friends” who ask you to drive places, jump in and out your car and never give gas. And did you have the “friend” who you gave some money to, but had to go to hell and back to get that money back from? Stingy and ungrateful friends are easy to find (sadly), but truly appreciative and giving friends are a gem to find. They offer you stuff and don’t make you feel like a burden, they help you with big tasks and are supportive, and they’re just overall good people that you don’t mind doing for. If you can find the friend who can give as much as they can receive, hold on to ‘em!
More on Madame Noire!
- Hip to the Game: Red Flags We Overlook In Our 20′s And Look Out For In Our 30′s!
- Ashton Kutcher, “Brown Face,” And Why These Images Persist in Media
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of “Boyz N The Hood”
- Why Do We Feel The Need to Keep Explaining ‘Our’ Fatness?
- Did You Know They Were The Daddy? Surprising Celebrity Parents
- 20 Years Later, Where Are They Now? The Cast of “The Cosby Show”
- Who You Calling a Bit**? A How-To on Properly Addressing Women
It’s April Fool’s Day and the jokes are not only for the young and heart. Respectable and successful companies like Facebook and Startbucks have taken a liking to the clever holiday and decided to join in on the fun using their digital platforms.
Appropriately titled page pranks these sites have “twisted” their brand around and let loose to give their audience something to laugh about. Take a look at these hilarious jokes right here…
As a kid, everyone had their favorite toys: whether it be a doll, a cool tea party set, a teddy bear–you name it, we claimed it, and when we got old enough to act like we didn’t care for toys anymore, we were still sad when mom decided to give our favorite toy to someone who needed it more. Yeah, childhood was great and simple, and our toys made it that much better. After seeing that there is a toy fair going on in NYC currently, it inspired me to create this ode to the dopest toys from our childhood. Time to walk down memory lane ladies!
Born and bred in the 1960s, the Easy-Bake Oven was most young girls’ first real foray into cooking. While the boxed oven of goodness came with cake mix, if you were like me, once those sweet concoctions ran out, you were working with anything you had in the house. I can’t tell you how many Frosted Flakes and grape jelly cakes I was cooking for folks in my house (they weren’t too excited to eat them though…). Definitely a defining toy in many homes for the little gals and the hungry big brothers.
Dating in college is a slightly different ball game, especially nowadays with the saturation of technology. It seems like people are more connected yet further apart.
Currently I’m a junior in college and maneuvering around in the dating world can be a little stressful. College isn’t like high school. You’re dealing with a different group of people, hopefully a more mature group. A lot of the relationships people have in college end up being their first truly serious “adult” relationship. In many cases it could be the person they end up marrying and spending the rest of their lives with.
Yet at the same time, college (besides getting an education of course) is a time to have fun and live your life. You’re only 18, 19, 20, 21 so why try and settle down so early? You have the rest of your 20s and 30s to find a “soul mate”.
However dating can still be fun, so here are some tips for all you college readers out there…
Check out the newest Bond girl! Naomie Harris is one of two ladies that will play the new Bond girls alongside Daniel Craig in the newest James Bond installment, Skyfall (random title right?). During the press conference today in London, Harris, known for her roles in films like, 28 Days Later, and Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man’s Chest, stepped in front of the flashing lights in this form-hugging, structured cream dress. While it was definitely a Hot look, the London-born beauty still managed to keep it classy since the dress reached over her knees and rocked cap-sleeves. She topped the look off with strappy heels, minimal jewelry (that chunky bangle), and some relaxed, loose curls around her square-shaped face. The makeup is nice as well (I see the eyes seem to be going for the smokey look), and her skin is shimmering!
If I have to give a verdict, I would reluctantly say, “Style to Steal.” I only say reluctantly because something about these colors is a bit on the drab side to me. You can see the small details in the dress, but you kind of have to look hard. So I’m thinking if this color was a bit brighter, I would be in love with the look. However, because it’s so tame, it’s almost boring. Almost like something I can see some chick wearing at an after-five set at a lounge. And why aren’t folks with money opting out of wearing fun jewelry??? I think some big or long statement earrings that don’t clash with the bangle could have taken this ‘fit to the next level. But hey, I’ll give it a pass. What about you?
More on Madame Noire!
- Splitsville: 7 Celeb Couples Who Divorced in Record Time
- Falling in Love with an Ugly Man
- The Truth @bout Natural Hair With Anu: Weekly Q&A
- Top 9 Ways to Impress Your Future Employer
- How to Date Two Men… Without Being a Total Beyotch
- How They Met: Harlem Lovebirds, Quiana and Uka
- Hairstyle Dos and Don’ts for Round Faces: Ashanti
Are you single and hate the holidays because it’s a reminder of your relationship status? Well snap out of it! Sure, it’s amazing to be in a great relationship, but you shouldn’t miss out on the joy of this holiday season because you’re stressing over not having a significant other.
Have you heard the expression “Single people want to be married, and married people want to be single?” That’s because being single can be just as much as fun as being in a relationship, sometimes even more fun. And being single around the holidays gives you the great opportunity to totally indulge in yourself, friends, and family.
So, if you’re single, stop sulking and start planning to make this one of your best and most memorable holidays. Here are a few fabulous ways for you to enjoy the holidays!