All Articles Tagged "Feeling Appreciated"
If I recall anything from my upbringing, it’s the following two rules: “If you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all,” and “Remember to always say ‘please’ and ‘thank you’.” It’s not only great life advice so you can trick people into thinking you’re a civilized human being, but it will also help you maintain healthy relationships with others, especially those with whom you’re in a committed sexual relationship. In other words, show some appreciation, will ya? Seriously, would it kill you to thank your fella for dinner, dessert and the following orgasm? I think not.
A study by the smarty-pants at University of California, Berkeley found that the simple act of thanking someone when you’re in a relationship goes a long way. About 50 undergrads between the ages of 18 and 60 (yup, I guess some undergrads are 60), who had been dating their partner for a year or more (about half of them were living together), were given a nightly survey to fill out for an entire week regarding such things as basic manners. Researchers collected the data and nine months later, gave the same couples the same survey. Those who felt appreciated were far less likely to break up. The mutual love and respect gets stronger if you just say “thank you” from time to time.
Read more on this study and the power of saying thank you on YourTango.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- Never Thought They’d Make It: Couples We Didn’t Think Would Still Be Together!
- Back In The Day When I Was Young: Child Actors Who Aren’t So Little Anymore!
- Oral Transactions and Getting “Ghetto”: Moments in Reality TV That Had Everybody Talking
- They’re Not Just for Kids Anymore: How to Be Chic in Your Jellies This Summer
- Noire Naturals, Episode 3: Creating a Sophisticated Elegance
- Open Door Policy: The Truth About “Breaks” and Open Relationships
- DY-NO-MITE!!! 8 Celebrities and the Roles That Typecast Them and Stunted Their Careers