All Articles Tagged "Dr. Helen Carter"
When Ida Davidson of Shrewsbury, Mass. went to see primary care physician Dr. Helen Carter, of the UMass Memorial Medical Center, I’m sure that like most people, she thought she could get help from the doctor to help diagnose a health concern or just talk about health issues. However, she received the shock of her life when Dr. Carter refused to treat her because of the fact that she’s clinically obese. At 5’7 and 247 pounds, Davidson admitted that she was a bit overweight, but never imagined that she would be turned away by a doctor because of it. As she told Massachusetts news station WCBV-TV:
“I can’t believe and I did say that out loud, ‘I can’t believe you guys just said that to me.’ I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my life…She’s like, ‘You gained weight, are your feet swollen, are your feet swollen?’ I said ‘No.’ She was really obsessed about the whole thing and me being in her office and she didn’t want to care for me.”
And Dr. Carter doesn’t deny Davidson’s claims. In fact, she stands by her refusal, pointing out that after a few of the employees were injured in the health center caring for heavier patients, they’ve decided to put restrictions in place when it comes to the weight of those they care for. “After three consecutive injuries (with other patients) trying to care for people over 250 pounds, my office is unable to accommodate a certain weight and we put a limit on it.” However, according to the New York Daily News, Dr. Carter also wanted people to know that while she may have denied treatment to the woman, the UMass Memorial Medical Center also has an obesity center with more resources and capabilities to provide health checks and diagnose the health issues of patients who are overweight.
More on Madame Noire!
- How I Learned To Stop Expecting My Vagina To Smell Like Roses And Just Loved It For What It Is
- Bison For Life: 10 Famous Ladies Who Went To Howard University
- Momma Dee on Bicth, Erica, Shay & Scrappy and Judgmental People
- Planet of the Naps: One Woman’s [Satirical] Story
- You Should Take Things Slow, But How Slow Is Too Slow? 7 Signs You’ve Been Put In The Dreaded “Gray Zone”
- Can’t Decide Whether to Stay or Go? Ask Yourself These 7 Questions
- Missed Opportunities: Did I Reject the Wrong Guy?