All Articles Tagged "culo"
There’s been buzz around Culo for a little bit now, but the 248-page coffee table book about women’s backsides just became available for purchase last week.
The collaboration between Sean “Diddy” Combs, Interscope Geffen A&M Chairman Jimmy Iovine, and fashion photographer Raphael Mazzucco is supposed to be a celebration of the booty as the “epicenter of female sexuality, desire, and empowerment,” but marketing behind the book makes it look like an upscale version of Maxim—particularly the preview video featuring suspect lyrics from rapper Pitbull.
Executed differently, Culo might have stood a chance underneath the overarching cloud of female objectification, but I have a feeling this effort is going to get passed over as poorly packaged sexist machismo no matter how tasteful the images are–particularly in light of the lengths people will go to get the booty. I also couldn’t help but notice a lack of brown derrieres in the promo, although that could be a good thing in this instance.
Check out the clip and tell us your thoughts. Is Culo something you’d have on your coffee table?
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Differences That Are Worth Overcoming, And Those Worth Being Stubborn About
- Well You Don’t Say: 10 White Singers We Once Thought Were Black
- Breaking It Down: What Men Think of Things Women Do
- The Questions He Hopes You Never Ask
- Best New Books by African American Authors
- 9 Inconvenient Truths About Men and Cheating
- Hot Business Looks on a Tiny Budget Through Thrifting!