All Articles Tagged "chavis carter shooting"
It Still Doesn’t Add Up: Despite Being Cuffed Behind His Back, Chavis Carter’s Death Officially Ruled A Suicide
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. — A man whose hands were cuffed behind him in the back seat of an Arkansas patrol car shot himself in the right temple with a handgun he apparently concealed from arresting officers, according to an autopsy report released Monday that listed the death as a suicide.
The state crime lab report, signed by three medical examiners, said the muzzle of a gun was placed against Chavis Carter’s head when it was fired. Jonesboro police released the report to The Associated Press and other news organizations under a Freedom of Information Act request.
The report said the manner of death was ruled a suicide based on autopsy findings and investigative conclusions from the Jonesboro police department, which has faced questions from Carter’s family and community members about the circumstances surrounding the July 28 shooting.
“He was cuffed and placed into a police car, where apparently he produced a weapon, and despite being handcuffed, shot himself in the head,” the report said. Chief Medical Examiner Charles P. Kokes did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment.
Police have said officers frisked Carter, 21, twice after a traffic stop without finding a gun before he was fatally shot, but the department’s internal investigation continues. The FBI also is monitoring the case and the local branch of the NAACP has called for a thorough investigation into the death of Carter, who was black. Two other men who were in a truck with him during the stop and the two officers on the scene are white, according to police.
Read more on the case and the official autopsy report on BlackVoices.com.
More on Madame Noire!
- I’m Gonna Call It Like I See It: Celebs With No Filter
- Beauty On A Budget: 8 Delicious Drugstore Products You Can’t Live Without
- Secret Lover: Signs He May Be Hiding Something From You
- All The Single Ladies! Grown and Gorgeous Celebs Who Are Single and Satisfied!
- Why I Wish We Would Stop Advising Black Women To Date Outside The Race
- Why I Love Working With Black Women
- Because a Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste: Celebs Who Attended Ivy League Universities