All Articles Tagged "Charlie Bell"
It’s a bad day for Charlie Bell, the ex-husband of “Basketball Wives” star Kenya Bell. After a drawn out divorce settlement, the former NBA player has finally been ordered to pay up big — big as in practically giving his ex-wife half of everything.
As TMZ broke it down, here’s the payout Kenya will get:
Kids: Charlie has to shell out $1,000/month in child support, but they’ll share custody of their two daughters. Neither party has to cough up spousal support.
Homes: Kenya scored the marital home in Michigan, along with the home bought for her parents. Charlie gets the condo in Vegas and the home he bought his parents.
Money: Kenya was awarded $780,000 cash from Charlie’s savings … leaving him with $656,000. She also gets half of the $670,000 from another account.
That doesn’t sound so bad, although with Charlie previously claiming he doesn’t have money like he used to and that he actually deserved some of Kenya’s “Basketball Wives” money, we’re pretty sure he’s not too happy about giving up his savings. Unfortunately for him, it gets much worse. Kenya is also entitled to half of Charlie’s NBA 401k plan, half of his NBA retirement plan, half of his NBA pension, half of his NBA welfare plan, and half of his NBA supplement benefit plan. In other words, Charlie is screwed and Kenya is probably off somewhere picking out a new Hermes bag.
I’d say the former couple’s two children should be well taken care of with all the cash coming Kenya’s way; Charlie however is probably somewhere kicking himself or crying in the half of his money he actually has left. I wonder if Kenya will even want that “Basketball Wives” money anymore.
More on Madame Noire!
- KISS & TELL: 6 Celebs Who Just Couldn’t Keep Their Business In The Bedroom!
- Hate Baby Mama Drama? Here’s How To Avoid It
- Where Are They Now? The Cast Of Baldwin Hills!
- Color Trends: 5 Fall 2012 Hues To Wear Now
- True Life: This is How He Got Me to Go Out With Him
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind the Making of “Baby Boy”
- People Telling You Not To Wear Heels And 6 Other Tall Girl Problems
Almost two months ago, “Basketball Wives” star Kenya Bell’s estranged husband Charlie was claiming that his soon-to-be ex-wife was recklessly spending his money to be spiteful. A lot of us were wondering why she still has access to his funds, but now he wants her to know what it feels like to have someone else spend your cash because he claims she’s making more money than he is and he needs some support.
According to Charlie, he’s not bringing in anywhere near as much money as he used to when he was in the NBA. Playing in an overseas league in Italy, he claims his annual salary is only $100,000 and he’s got just over a million in the bank. Kenya on the other hand, he says, makes $300,000 just for being on “Basketball Wives,” not to mention her iTunes music releases, although I doubt that brought in any substantial income. Still, his point is once this divorce is final, if ever, she ought to be the one paying him spousal support since she earns more.
Kenya’s obviously not hearing it. She says she doesn’t earn that much for being on the VH1 show and she still plans to go after whatever is in Charlie’s savings. This is the same woman who attacked him with a box cutter last year so I’m not surprised.
Do you think Kenya should pay Charlie spousal support now?
More on Madame Noire!
- Break-Ups To Make-Ups: Couples We Would’ve Like To See Give It Another Shot
- The Hair She Dared to Wear: The Coiffures of Patti Labelle
- Salt & Peplum: 10 Peplum Dresses That Need a Place in Your Closet
- Boy Pats Obama’s Head, Boy Makes History
- No Need To Call Tyrone: 7 Ways To Bow Out Of A Relationship Gracefully
- My Hair Story: I’m Going To Miss My Dominicanos
- Don’t Lie, You Were Jamming Too: 7 Singers & Groups We Used to Get Made Fun Of For Listening To
If the quickest way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, the easiest way to piss him off is through his wallet. That appears to be the game plan for “Basketball Wives’” Kenya Bell, according to her soon-to-be ex-husband, Charlie Bell.
These two have been in a long divorce battle with Kenya pulling a Pilar Sanders/Tawanna Iverson move—claiming Charlie is living lavish while she struggles to care for their children. Charlie fired back with his own court documents though, saying if Kenya’s worried about feeding the kids she should stop spending money recklessly on things like:
- A Corvette, which she purchased for $82,000, drove for three weeks, then resold for $61,000
- A $12,000 motorcycle
- Criminal attorneys–$20,000
- Her brother’s electric bill which came up to $3,000 (um, does he ever turn off the lights?)
- $9,000 worth of luggage and shoes
- Plastic Surgery, which he said cost a whopping $110,000
Charlie says Kenya racked up another $150,000 in “miscellaneous expenses to get even with Mr. Bell,” I’m thinking some of that went toward her “budding” music career. The pro baller who’s currently playing overseas in Italy also says he gave Kenya $200,000 before he even left for Europe so her request that the court make him set aside a large chunk of his money for support should be denied.
I really wonder what some of these women would do if they had to raise kids on modest budgets like most Americans do. Kenya might want to pay more attention to a potential custody battle with her ex rather than a financial one. Considering she was arrested in May 2011 for breaking into the couple’s home and attacking Charlie with a box cutter in front of their two children, I can see him snatching those kids out from under her.
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- When Tweeting Goes Wrong: 6 Celebrity Scuffles & Screw Ups On Twitter
- Are You In Love With Being In Love? Reasons Why Being A Romantic Can Ruin You
- Star Wars: The Best Of Celebrity Feuds
- “Ask A Black Man” Episode 1: Life Of A Single Man (Extended Cut)
- Check Your Child: 8 Tips For Keeping Your Daughter Off The Pole
- Don’t Text Your Ex! Thing To Tell Yourself Before Picking Up The Phone
- Take It To The Floor: Maxi Dresses That Will Sweep You Into Spring
- Give & Take: Signs That You Are Too Much Of A Giver