All Articles Tagged "burglary"
LL Really Did Almost Knock Out Home Intruder: Burglar Has Broken Nose, Jaw, And Ribs And May Get Life In Prison
Jonathan A. Kirby’s attempt at burglarizing LL Cool J’s home was a huge fail all around. We knew Tuesday that LL busted up the home invader but we had no idea just how bad. According to TMZ, the 56-year-old (who’s still robbing homes at that age?) suffered a broken nose, jaw, and ribs at the hands of LL, and that’s not even the biggest of his concerns.
Kirby has been charged with 1st degree burglary with a person present and the L.A. County District Attorney’s Office has also charged him as a 3rd Strike Offender which means if he’s convicted, he faces a maximum of 38 years to life in prison. According to CNN, “Kirby was previously convicted of voluntary manslaughter in Dallas, Texas, in 1988. He also has auto theft, first degree burglary and a petty theft conviction in Los Angeles on his record.” Given this rap sheet and considering he was caught and detained by LL earlier in the week, his chances of escaping conviction are probably pretty slim.
Prosecutors have asked the judge to set Kirby’s bail at $1.1 million, and CNN says arraignment has not yet been set for the burglar since he’s still in the hospital recovering from the injuries Todd Smith dealt him. I’m sure even without the likely prison conviction, Kirby would have learned his lesson after this. We promise to bring more details (and pics of LL’s muscles as the details unravel).
More on Madame Noire!
- How I Learned To Stop Expecting My Vagina To Smell Like Roses And Just Loved It For What It Is
- Bison For Life: 10 Famous Ladies Who Went To Howard University
- Momma Dee on Bicth, Erica, Shay & Scrappy and Judgmental People
- Planet of the Naps: One Woman’s [Satirical] Story
- You Should Take Things Slow, But How Slow Is Too Slow? 7 Signs You’ve Been Put In The Dreaded “Gray Zone”
- Can’t Decide Whether to Stay or Go? Ask Yourself These 7 Questions
- Missed Opportunities: Did I Reject the Wrong Guy?
I’m curious if the burglars who broke into LL Cool J’s house in the wee hours of the morning knew exactly whose home they were walking into because they definitely took a gamble coming up against the “Mama Said Knock You Out” rapper. And, of course, they lost. TMZ, as usual, has the whole scoop:
According to law enforcement sources … the suspect entered LL’s Los Angeles area house around 2AM, but unfortunately for him the actor/rapper/bada** was home.
We’re told LL heard some commotion downstairs, went to check it out … and found the intruder.
Sources say the “NCIS Los Angeles” star — who is a physical beast — went hand-to-hand combat on the dude … and managed to detain the suspect until LAPD officers arrived a few minutes later to arrest him.
We’re told LL is okay, but the suspect — who will be booked for burglary — suffered a few bruises.
I’m sure that will be the last time anyone tries to run up on James Todd Smith in his house ever again in life. Get ‘em L.
More on Madame Noire!
- You Know That’s Annoying, Right? 6 Things You’ve Got to Stop Saying to Your Single Friends
- Where Are They Now? The Women of “For the Love of Ray-J”
- Let’s Be Real Here, How Many Baby Showers Does One Mother Need?
- Thank God I Dodged A Bullet! That Feeling You Get When Your Ex Is A Mess
- A Memo To The Ladies of Love & Hip Hop: Commitment In a Relationship Should Never Be Up For Discussion
- Get It Mrs. Hines! Check The Behind-The-Scenes Pics Of Tichina Arnold’s Hawaii Wedding
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind The Making of “Diary of a Mad Black Woman”
Zoe Saldana had an unfortunate surprise when she returned to her Los Angeles home on Sunday—someone had broken into it.
According to police officers, Zoe immediately noticed signs of entry and called LAPD right away to come out and take a report. What’s odd is that at first glance nothing appeared to have been stolen from Zoe’s home, which makes you wonder what kind of person was in her house and why.
Zoe is taking inventory just to be sure she didn’t overlook anything and hopefully none of her belongings were taken. But in the meantime she needs to step up that security system. It’s a good thing she wasn’t home when the intruder came!
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- She’s Trying to Erykah Badu Me: 7 Men Whose Style Changed For Their Lady
- Where Has He Been?? Love Jones Creator Explains His Disappearance
- Hair-Raising!: Real Life Hair Horror Stories
- Would You Be Cool Not Being Claimed By Your Man?
- Leah Remini: Sharon Osbourne Had Holly & I Fired Because We Were ‘Ghetto’
- Black Celebrity Twins Besides Tia & Tamera
- Six Blacks Who Made Forbes’ Billionaire List
- 7 Dating Patterns Many Women Fall Into
(Washington Post) — Burglaries in the Dupont Circle area have more than tripled this year. Thefts have spiked about 65 percent in neighborhoods east of the Anacostia River. In Columbia Heights, police are approaching people and warning them to put away their smartphones because thieves are snatching them. Property crime is surging across the District in 2011. The most stubborn categories are burglaries, up 18 percent from this time last year (from 712 to 841), and thefts, which have increased 23 percent (from 1,469 to 1,803) through March 24, the latest date for which data are available. “These two crimes have been the biggest problem we have for the past six months,” D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said in an e-mail. Violent crime in the District is down modestly in 2011. Gun crimes are on the decline, though homicides, at 20, are up from 18 at this time last year. Robberies have also increased slightly. Lanier cautioned against drawing conclusions from the homicide figures because it’s still early in the year and the total is close to last year’s number.