All Articles Tagged "BET talent show"
Often people tune into singing competitions for the judges as much as for the amateur talent and Centric has just announced the lead judge for Apollo Live: The Empress of Soul “Gladys Knight”.
Putting a new twist on an old show, Apollo Live, produced by Jamie Fox and hosted by Tony Rock, marks the Apollo Theater’s legendary return to television after the successful 21-year run of the popular “Showtime at the Apollo”. It will be taped in front of a live audience at the Theater.
Gladys will be judging with Doug E. Fresh and Michael Bivins of New Edition and Bell Biv DeVoe. Not exactly J.Lo, Christina Aguilera or Anthony Hamilton, but talent shows are known to tap veterans like Steven Tyler and Paula Abdul to judge. The seven-time Grammy award winner, Gladys, is an excellent choice for Centric.
I’m curious that BET, Centric’s parent company, didn’t pick at least one current artists as a judge in an effort to appeal to a younger audience the way Duets got Kelly Clarkson and The Voice hired Adam Levine or even X-Factor picked Britney Spears. There is no shortage of black musicians who we’d love to see judging one of these talent shows.
Centric targets a different demographic though, so it’ll be entertaining to watch these veterans’ responses to any young contestants who happen to emulate the popstars of today.
What does the winner get? Centric told the Associated Press that the reward for the series’ winner has not been determined.
There were many fans of Showtime at the Apollo, and it would be great if “Apollo Live” does for Centric ratings-wise now what American Idol did for FOX in 2001.
Guess we’ll have to see!
Will you be watching Gladys Knight and Apollo Live?
Follow Alissa on Twitter @AlissaInPink
More on Madame Noire!
- Where Are They Now? Flavor of Love, Reader’s Request Edition
- The Blackest Eye: Tales of the Light Skinned Girl Who Wanted to Be Darker
- Cute Kid Alert: Fantasia Debuts Her Son, Dallas, Lil Wayne’s Son With Nivea, And A Lot More
- Choose Your Battles: Why Do Some Black Folks Snap On Customer Service Workers Over Petty Things?
- My Life: Taught To Have Brains In The “Absence” of Beauty
- When Keeping It Real Goes Right & Wrong: Celebs Who We Like More And Less After Doing Reality TV
- Single Black Male: 7 Reasons Black Men Take Longer to Put a Ring On It