NASCAR Fans Boo First Lady & Vice President’s Wife
First Lady Michelle Obama and Vice President Joe Biden’s wife, Jill, attended the NASCAR race Sunday to promote their important Joining Forces project, which works on behalf of military families — but they were met with boos from the crowd after being introduced as grand marshals.
After extending welcoming cheers to Srgt. Andrew Barry, a sniper for the U.S. Army in Iraq and Afghanistan, the crowd quickly turned on the First Lady and Jill Biden with noticeable boos. It looks like the two were able to brush off the negativity as they told the racers to start their engines, and according to The Associated Press, the pair was given a much warmer reception at the pre-race meeting with NASCAR drivers, including a standing ovation. Perhaps the crowd was just representative of the disgruntled 99%? But why take it out on Michelle? This crowd should recognize the work she is doing that directly benefits them.
Brande Victorian is a blogger and culture writer in New York City. Follower her on Twitter at @be_vic.
More on Madame Noire!
- Mama’s Boys: Celebrity Stars And Their Sons
- Think He’s Cheating? Think Again…
- Do You Wear the Pants? 7 Signs That Say Yes!
- Reality Rewind: Classic Sayings From Our Favorite Shows
- Give Thanks With These Holiday Etiquette Tips
- Booty-licious! Ankle Boots for Every Budget
- Woman to Woman: When Love is Not Enough