Hollywood’s Top 9 Failed Marriages: Are Hollywood Couples Cursed?
After just 72 days, Kardashian called it quits with her NBA lock-out husband Kris Humphries
They call it the starter marriage. And in Hollywood, many relationships start and stop in the blink of an eye. “There’s a lack of maturity, and they’re fantasizing that marriage is a fairy tale,” says Lois Liberman, a New York celebrity divorce lawyer. Enter most recent divorcee Kim Kardashian and no ex-husband NBA basketball star, Kris Humphries.
1. After just 72 days of wedding un-bliss, Kim is reportedly filing for divorce under “irreconcilable differences.” A tweet from the starlette said it all the morning of October 31,“Yes @kimkardashian is filing for divorce this morning” and was confirmed with a formal statement later in the day: “After careful consideration, I have decided to end my marriage. I hope everyone understands this was not an easy decision. I had hoped this marriage was forever, but sometimes things don’t work out as planned. We remain friends and wish each other the best.” Kim complained that due to the NBA lockout, Humphries has been partying it up and using Kim’s funds to do it! Kim, the notorious workaholic, has been working non-stop since there lavish nuptials held in Montecito August 20, and grew tired of her party boy husband.
2. And now for Christina Milian and The Dream. The judge in Atlanta, dealing with the divorce of Christina Milian and The Dream, finished signing the last legal documents this month. The Dream, whose real name is Terius Nash, had been married to Milian since 2009 but separated in July 2010. Milian’s attorney Randy Kessler states that the divorce was a mutual agreement by the pair.
3. Elin Nordegren and Tiger Woods. How could we forget this one? In 2004 the model and golf pro were the picture of perfection at their wedding in Barbados. But by fall of 2009, Wood’s infidelity ghosts escaped from his closet and Elin was left with terrible public humiliation and devastating heartache. By August 23, 2010, the divorce was finalized and Nordegren allegedly received somewhere between $100-500 million. What did Tiger get from the settlement? His ex-wife’s silence. Elin is reportedly not allowed to speak of her ex-husband’s infidelity to anyone. That means no TV appearances or talk show exclusives.
4. Now let’s get political. Maria Shriver and the Governator. After 25 years of marriage, Shriver filed for divorce from husband Arnold Schwarzenegger on July 1 siting “irreconcilable differences.” (Don’t they all!?) With no prenup, Shriver is seeking joint custody of their children and a division of the assets. (Meaning she could get half of Schwarzenegger’s $300 million, yes you read that right, that leaves her with $150 million!) As they announced in May, the couple decided to separate after Schwarzenegger admitted to fathering a child, Joseph, with the family housekeeper, Mildren Baena, 14 years ago. With a past of “bad behavior” including allegedly fondling women, Shriver supposedly had inkling that her husband was unfaithful, but nothing could have prepared her for this.
5. In many cases, celeb marriages end after the bride’s career towers over that of the groom, i.e. Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Philippe. These lovebirds were only 23 and 24, respectively, when they tied the knot in June 1999. Still, the marriage looked solid. They had two children and publicly admitted using couples therapy. But as Reese’s career skyrocketed, she won a Best Actress Oscar in 2006 and earns $15 million paychecks for her film roles, the marriage started slipping. “The husband can start to resent feeling emasculated,” says divorce attorney Lois Liberman. Sadly the couple called it quits and was legally divorced on May 15, 2007.
6. Now let’s not forget the golden girl, miss Britney Spears and her ill-fated union with backup dancer Kevin Federalize. She was 22 and he was 26 when they wed September 18, 2004. Spears tried to bolster Federline’s struggling music career when she helped finance and even appear on her husband’s doomed debut album, Playing With Fire. Federline became a joke in the industry. Entertainment Weekly accused Federline of “squandering” his wife’s fortune. They were married for about 2 years until Brit called it quits citing “irreconcilable differences,” just 2 months after the birth of their second child in 2006. Let’s not forget this that is Britney’s second marriage. The first was in Las Vegas in 2004 to her childhood sweetheart, Jason Allen Alexander, but was annulled by Brit within 55 hours.
7. Pamela Anderson is known for her marriages, and not because they’ve been particularly successful. Anderson married Motely Crue drummer Tommy Lee, in February 1995 after knowing him for only 96 hours. She married and divorced Lee twice, married Kid Rock in 2006 for four months and Paris Hilton’s ex Rick Salomon in 2007, also for four months. Yes, that’s 4 divorces total.
8. Now let’s dive into another recent, and some say shocking split of Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony. After 7 years of marriage, they allegedly divorced due to Anthony’s controlling temper and strict rules he set for his wife. He was not happy with her “Hot” wardrobe and put her down when she tried to show some skin. The couple have three-year-old twins Max and Emme and allegedly were holding it together for the children, until Jennifer couldn’t take it anymore and filed for divorce a few months ago. Before Anthony, Lopez was famously married to Chris Judd for just four months in 2001, after meeting during the filming of the music video for her single ” Love Don’t Cost a Thing “. But first we can’t forget about J.Lo’s 1st marriage in 1997 to Cuban-born Ojani Noa for less than a year.
9. And lastly, we have to turn to the reality TV show curse that started with Nick Lachey and Jessica Simpson. These two young lovebirds, Simpson just 22 years old and Lachey 29, endured a very public marriage in 2002 through their reality TV series Newlyweds. When Newlyweds became a hit, Jessica, not Nick, was offered several movie roles and licensing deals which, once again, left him feeling inferior. While Jessica was on location in Louisiana filming her movie debut as Daisy Duke in Dukes of Hazzard, Lachey was at home working on solo music projects that never quite took flight. The divorce followed soon after in November of 2005, after just 3 years of marriage.
Now of course this is only 9 out of hundreds of celeb unions that end up in divorce such as Kelis Rogers and “Nas” Jones, Sandra Bullock and Jesse James, Kelsey Grammar and Camille Grammar, Madonna and Guy Ritchie, Hulk Hogan and Linda Hogan, Michael Jordan and Juanita Jordan, Denise Richards and Charlie Sheen, Courtney Cox and David Arquette etc etc etc. What we can learn from this is to not create a reality TV show based on our marriage, pick a mate who is not threatened by a woman’s success, and never rush into a union (aka 96 hours is not enough time to learn about a person, right Pam and Tommy Lee?).
More on Madame Noire!
- Sit Down Boo Boo: 7 Types of Arrogant Men
- Get the Hair Look: Keke Palmer’s Beach Waves
- StyleBlazer Video: “How I Made It” Episode 1 – Essence Editor Mikki Taylor
- 7 Reasons Nice Guys Finish First
- 8 Reasons Your First Date — Might Be Your Last
- Ask a Very Smart Brotha: Nervous Virgin & an Eager Wifeseeker
- 20 Ways to Relate, Release & Refresh on a Budget