Fact: Amanda Seales Is A Melanin Superhero Saving The Culture
If you don’t know who Amanda Seales is by now, we need to have a serious talk, sis. Perhaps you actually know her as Amanda Diva from MTV. Or maybe you remember her as Deon from My Brother & Me, the mid-90s Nickelodeon sitcom that had us singing “Goo Punch.” These days, Amanda works alongside Issa Rae on HBO’s Insecure and she’s also got time to play a culture-saving superhero in real life, snatching up the edges of racists and anyone and anything that tries to discredit the Black girl magic secret formula. Let us count the ways.
- Amanda Exposes The Gaga Gag- Recently, Lady Gaga took to Twitter and asked the Black community to tell her and “her fellow non-racist white folks” how to treat Black people so they can influence the rest of America to get with the program. Well, not only did Amanda tell Gaga it’s not our job to undo a system whites created, but she also pulled up receipts of Gaga nonchalantly participating in that system, hard cold chillin’ at a slave party six years ago. As usual, Amanda be knowing.
- Coming For Caitlyn– So Katy Perry has this Livestream dinner party with celebrities and tastemakers from all walks of life. Ms. Caitlyn Jenner decides to talk about how wonderful the United States of America has been to her and how she “believes in this country,” and of course, she is confused why all Americans don’t agree with her. Just when you wish you could slap the ignorance out her Botox, Amanda serves the truth tea right back into Caitlyn’s court and breaks down the facts for “sis” about America not being so great for everyone who’s not a rich, white male.
- Catcalling Won’t Get The Kitty- Our girl Amanda made an appearance on CNN three years ago to discuss the viral video of a New York woman being “hollered at,” i.e. street harassed, by every man she passed on the street. Amanda let a white male commentator know that women aren’t not needy for men’s approval and a simple “hello” will suffice as a conversation starter if there is interest in getting to know a woman. — and she’s right.
- Dropping Knowledge on a Daily- Most superheros wait by the bat phone to fight injustices. Not Amanda! The girl is proactive in her mission to enlighten the world. Her YouTube channel is lit with a series of content she called Gem Droppin’. In it, Amanda shares how she’s pushed and prevailed through life. Check out this video that makes the difference between white privilege and personal struggle crystal clear.
- Being Her Eclectic Self- Amanda Seales is a content creator, actress, political and pop culture commentator, stand-up comedienne, college speaker, a former Floetry memeber, and probably 10 more things we’re forgetting to mention. Her parents must have been listening to Chaka Khan’s “I’m Every Woman” when they conceived her because girlfriend is doing the damn thing! She’s the bestie every woman needs on her team because she inspires you to get your life in every way possible (And she happens to have a web series called Get your Life). Can you say Renaissance woman?