Can You Guess The Messages Janelle Monae Is Sending Through Her Hair?
For the past few weeks, Janelle Monae has been on a heavy media tour promoting Hidden Figures, the untold story of NASA’s Black female leaders. And the singer is also telling a story via her hairstyles during the press run.
Yesterday, Janelle posted a photo of the different hairstyles she’s been wearing on Instagram, writing:
From the Eyes, to the Gold Wire, and then to the White Safety Pins… Can you guess what messages 👁 am sending and speaking through my hair?
Fans sent a number of theories, most of which assumed the singer was echoing Solange’s message from A Seat at the Table, “Don’t touch my hair.” Others suggested the eyes speak to her wokeness; the safety pins, solidarity; and the gold wire Black pride.
- jamarmalaidThe message I’m getting from your hair from left to right “look but don’t touch”.
- nijerya21“Don’t touch my hair”
- streetchief1. I stay Woke 2. I am wired and connected 3. I am a safe Ally ………..Underlining theme Afrofuturism
- orphanizthenewblackEyes: because you’re aware of all the shit going on, always watching.. are the safety pins painted white because they were an attempt by white people to show solidarity and allyship without actually doing anything. And gold because black excellence?
- crownadjusted_Eyes wide open
- magibson116It’s not some Solange, DON’T TOUCH my hair SH-T?!?!?😐
- dream_queen_onaEyeballs=Awareness/Awakening ~ Gold=Melanin/The treasure within ~ Safety pins=The Safe Haven of our Minds/Unity~~:-)
- greencupid123Eyes mean you’re woke and aware of what’s happening, gold means that you recognize the value and beauty in marginalized groups, safety pins mean you stand with and support said groups
Janelle has yet to share the true meaning behind her hairstyles so we’re curious what you think. What messages do you see in her hair?