(New York Times) — Small-business owners are often described in monolithic terms. But as I rediscovered during a conversation with three women who run companies, their goals and motivations tend to vary. When I met recently with Jessica Johnson, Susan Parker and Carissa Reiniger of ournewly formed business group, we talked about their long-term goals. (Alexandra Mayzler, the fourth member of the group, couldn’t make the meeting.) I was particularly curious about their thoughts and attitudes about eventually exiting the companies that they or their families — in the cases of Ms. Johnson and Ms. Parker — built. Ms. Johnson said that exiting Johnson Security Bureau would feel like walking out on a spouse: “My daily struggle is, how do I keep the business going successfully for as long as possible, while protecting myself and my interest?” She added that she did not want to turn 75 one day and find that she was still trying to find security guards to cover a client at 2 a.m.
- MN Business
- Follow MadameNoire on Instagram
- Follow MadameNoire on Tumblr
- Like MadameNoire on Facebook
- Follow MadameNoire on Twitter
- Subscribe to MadameNoire on YouTube
- Follow MadameNoire on Pinterest
- Follow MadameNoire on Google+
- Subscribe to MadameNoire
- Don't Shoot
- Protests Take Place In More Than 30 States, In More Than 170 Cities On Tuesday, Blocking Major Highways, Tunnels And Bridges
- “It Definitely Set Us Back”: New Yorkers Share Their Thoughts On The Grand Jury Decision, Ferguson And The Value Of Black Life
- Mike Brown’s Friend Who Was With Him The Day He Was Killed Speaks On His Disappointment With The Grand Jury Decision
- “We Are Still Being Lynched”: Ferguson Activists, Business Owners And Residents Speak On Grand Jury Decision, Chaos That Followed
- “F**k The Police”: Protests Erupt Nationwide Over Indictment Decision, Including ‘Die-Ins’ And Marches Blocking Highways
Sign up for the newsletter.
MadameNoire is a sophisticated lifestyle publication that gives African-American women the latest in fashion trends, black entertainment news, parenting tips and beauty secrets that are specifically for black women. Black women seek information on a wide variety of topics including African-American hair care, health issues, relationship advice and career trends - and MadameNoire provides all of that.
MadameNoire ® Copyright © 2010-2014 Moguldom Media Group. All Rights Reserved | Moguldom Multicultural