Forbes Names Tyler Perry Top-Earning Entertainer
By Charlotte Young
Tyler Perry has come a long way from sleeping in his car and producing stage plays. Say what you will about the actor/director/producer sensation, but he is getting paid. So paid in fact, that Forbes lists him as one of ten of the highest paid men in entertainment.
Tyler Perry is one of only two men on the list to earn the spot as an actor, although he earns most of his money for his writer/director/producer credits. Perry collected about $130 million between May 2010 and May 2011. This puts him as the highest-earning man in entertainment for that time period. In the past two years he’s produced five movies and two TV series.
Next on his radar, Perry will surprisingly make an appearance in a film that he didn’t write, direct or produce. He’s set to play detective Alex Cross in the upcoming movie “I, Alex Cross,” a character played by Morgan Freeman in “Along Came a Spider” and “Kiss the Girls.” Let’s not forget about Tyler TV, the cable channel that Lionsgate has in the works for the hardworking media man.
Perry is most known for his self-created character Madea. The strong, opinionated and off-beat character has a solid following that has watched her from the local theaters to the big screen. Many may remember her debut in the 1999 play “I Can Do Bad All By Myself.” Since then, Madea has appeared in multiple plays and movies, including “Madea’s Family Reunion,” “Madea Goes to Jail” and “Diary of a Mad Black Woman.”
After the success of his plays and movies, International Business Times reports that Perry entered the world of sitcoms in 2006 with TBS’ “House of Payne.” The show holds up as one of cable TV’s highest rated shows. In 2009 Perry came up with his second sitcom, “Meet the Browns.” This fall “For Better or Worse” will also debut on TBS.
Leonardo DiCaprio is the only other actor to make it to the highest-paid men in entertainment list. He came in at number 8 with $77 million from his work in Shutter Island and Inception.
Find the list of the rest of the top ten highest earning entertainment players below:
1. Tyler Perry (Film, Play and TV Actor, Director, Writer, Producer) – $130 million
2. Jerry Bruckheimer (Film and TV Producer) – $113 million
3. Steven Spielberg (Film and TV Director and Producer) – $107 million
4. Elton John (Musician) – $100 million
5. Simon Cowell (TV Producer, Host) – $90 million
6. James Patterson (Author) – $84 million
7. Dr. Phil McGraw (TV Producer, Host) – $80 million
8. Leonardo Dicaprio (Film Actor) – $77 million
9. Howard Stern (Radio Host) – $76 million
10. Tiger Woods (Professional Golf Player) – $75 million