(The Grio) — For a time, it looked like the debt “super committee” wouldn’t exactly be super-diverse. As the names began to surface for the Democratic and Republican lawmakers who will be part of the Joint Committee on Deficit Reduction, called for in the compromise legislation that raised the debt ceiling, it became increasingly obvious that the committee did not look like America. By Wednesday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker John Boehner, picks had surfaced: Democratic Senators Patty Murray of Washington (who will serve as co-chair), John Kerry of Massachusetts and Max Baucus of Montana, Republican Jon Kyl of Arizona, Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania (former head of the anti-tax Club for Growth) and Rob Portman of Ohio; and House Republicans Dave Camp (the House ways and means chairman) and Fred Upton Michigan and Jeb Hensarling of Texas. Those picks certainly represent a geographic cross-section of the country — but not a demographic one.
- MN Business
- Follow MadameNoire on Instagram
- Follow MadameNoire on Tumblr
- Like MadameNoire on Facebook
- Follow MadameNoire on Twitter
- Subscribe to MadameNoire on YouTube
- Follow MadameNoire on Pinterest
- Follow MadameNoire on Google+
- Subscribe to MadameNoire
- Don't Shoot
- “All Cops Ain’t Bad”: The Problem With The Feel Good Cop Viral Videos…
- Samuel Jackson Calls Out Stars Who Did The ALS Ice Bucket Challenges But Won’t Speak Out About Police Brutality
- Family Of Akai Gurley, Killed By Rookie NYPD Officer, Tell Rev. Al Sharpton To Stay Away From Funeral: “Who Made You The Spokesperson Of Our Family?”
- Tamir Rice’s Family Files Lawsuit Against Cleveland Police Department
- #AliveWhileBlack Hashtag Spotlights Black People’s Very Sad And Scary Interactions With Police
Sign up for the newsletter.
MadameNoire is a sophisticated lifestyle publication that gives African-American women the latest in fashion trends, black entertainment news, parenting tips and beauty secrets that are specifically for black women. Black women seek information on a wide variety of topics including African-American hair care, health issues, relationship advice and career trends - and MadameNoire provides all of that.
MadameNoire ® Copyright © 2010-2014 Moguldom Media Group. All Rights Reserved | Moguldom Multicultural