(The Grio) — For a time, it looked like the debt “super committee” wouldn’t exactly be super-diverse. As the names began to surface for the Democratic and Republican lawmakers who will be part of the Joint Committee on Deficit Reduction, called for in the compromise legislation that raised the debt ceiling, it became increasingly obvious that the committee did not look like America. By Wednesday, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Speaker John Boehner, picks had surfaced: Democratic Senators Patty Murray of Washington (who will serve as co-chair), John Kerry of Massachusetts and Max Baucus of Montana, Republican Jon Kyl of Arizona, Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania (former head of the anti-tax Club for Growth) and Rob Portman of Ohio; and House Republicans Dave Camp (the House ways and means chairman) and Fred Upton Michigan and Jeb Hensarling of Texas. Those picks certainly represent a geographic cross-section of the country — but not a demographic one.
More on Madame Noire!
- True Life: I Wish I'd Known This When I Graduated College...
- Yummy In My Tummy: Tasty Foods That Keep You Energized
- After The Love Is Gone: The Most Common Reasons People Fall Out Of Love
- Do Not Take My Picture!!!! Celebs Who’ve Fought Back (Hard) Against Paparazzi
- When The Shoe Don't Fit, You Have To Quit! The Worst Celebrity Foot Offenses
- You Have 0 New Messages: Signs It's Time To Re-Vamp Your Online Dating Profile Now
- Do It Now! 10 Steps To Fighting Procrastination
Mommy In Chief
Mommy In Chief
Is your child energetic and full of life?Read More
Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN