(Detroit Free Press) — The ambitious plan to convert one-third of Detroit Public Schools buildings to charter schools by fall has slowed significantly, scaling back to only five charter school conversions this year. Roy Roberts, the emergency manager for DPS, said Thursday that the DPS Renaissance 2012 plan announced in March was “too aggressive.” However, dozens of schools still will be considered for conversion to charters next year or beyond. Of the 19 local and national companies that submitted bids to charter as many as 50 DPS buildings, three small local companies have been chosen to run five low-performing elementary schools. The selected companies have produced high test scores among low-income charter school students, data show.
More on Madame Noire!
- Top Ten List of Sexay Black Nerds, Who Can Get It
- Big Things Come In Small Packages:15 Celebrity Women 5'2" And Shorter
- 11 Tips To Have A Fun Girls Getaway And Still Come Back Friends
- Doing The Most And They Know It: Celebs Who Regret Showing Too Much Skin
- Going My Way? How To Flirt On Public Transit
- Make It Hot! Fun Ways To Spice Up Your Sex Life
- True Life: I Wish I'd Known This When I Graduated College...
Mommy In Chief
Mommy In Chief
Is your child energetic and full of life?Read More
Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN