“I Was In Panic Mode” Victim In Alleged Brooklyn Rape Speaks Out As Teens Released From Jail

January 15, 2016  |  

Source: AP Images

Source: AP Images

Four of the five teenagers arrested on the charge of raping an 18-year-old young woman in Brooklyn’s Osborn park have all been released.

The District Attorney’s office could not meet its deadline to secure indictments against the teenagers charged in the gang rape.

Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson told the New York Daily News he agreed to their release saying “Because we are determined to get to the truth about what happened in that park, we need more time to investigate this complex case and gather more evidence. Therefore, we consented to the defendants’ release.”

They were all released without bail. The one suspect, whose family paid bail already, will have their money refunded.

The fifth suspect, the 15-year-old will remain in custody for a prior arrest in October for assault and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon. Authorities claim he did not abide by the conditions of his agreement to attend an alternative incarceration program for young offenders.

 

According to the Daily News, Police Commissioner Bill Bratton, detectives are reviewing a 10-second cellphone video, taken by one of the accused teenagers, that shows the victim smiling. Reportedly she is not wearing pants in the footage.

The Daily News also reports that neither the father or daughter could make pick out any of the five teenagers from multiple lineups.

Earlier, we reported that two of the five suspects, when arrested, said that the father was having sex with his daughter in the park when they approached the two of them. He denies the accusation. When the Daily News asked him his thoughts about the suspects being released from custody, he said “I have nothing to say.”

He maintains his story about what happened that night, telling  ABC 7,

“One of them put a gun in a my face, telling me to run. And all of them had their way with her.”

The results from the rape kit have not been made available yet. But investigators did say that the victim showed bruising and scars consistent with someone who had been attacked.

In an interview with ABC 7, the young lady said that she did not know the teenagers who allegedly raped her.

When asked how she felt when her father left her in the park, she said:

“I was just real scared. I didn’t know what to do and I was in panic mode.”

You can check out the ABC News story, including the brief interview with the father and daughter, whose faces are not shown, in the video below.

Trending on MadameNoire

View Comments
Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN
blog comments powered by Disqus