Paris Attacks Leave Over 100 Dead, ISIS Claims Responsibility
Last night (Nov. 13), France’s President Francois Hollande declared a state of emergency and closed the country’s borders after horror struck the city of Paris with multiple shooting rampages that included explosions and mass-hostage takings.
According to the New York Times, over 100 people were killed in six coordinated attacks throughout the city, which included a popular music hall, the country’s main sports stadium, and two restaurants.While the number of individuals dead is pending, Hollande has said that as many as 127 have died in total and the Paris Police Prefecture said the toll was at least 128. The spokesman said 180 people had been injured, 99 of whom were in critical, according to CNN. Paris’ Deputy Mayor, Patrick Klugman, says that “the death toll is expected to rise significantly.”
Hollande also disclosed today that ISIS was responsible for the deadly attacks. The Islamic State claimed also responsibility in an online statement, which said that eight ISIS militants wearing explosive belts and armed with machine guns attacked selected targets in the French capital. As for the eight terrorists who attacked the city, seven of which died via suicide bombings, are all dead according to the Los Angeles Times.
President Barack Obama issued a statement on the attacks, stating,” This is an attack not just on Paris, it’s an attack not just on the people of France, but this is an attack on all of humanity and the universal values that we share.”