Real Couples Therapy – How To Stay Married
Too often television shows and movies feed couples the fairy tale of what marriage looks like. Don’t be fooled. Anytime you merge two individuals as well as their families, beliefs, and feelings, you are bound to run into some rough spots. If you think you’re never going to be angry beyond words, think again. You will.
But, just because you’re marriage doesn’t resemble the model marriages you think other people have – doesn’t mean you two won’t make it. In essence, you have to find your own path and do what works for you and your spouse. Cookie cutter advice is cute, but it’s seldom helpful in the heat of the moment or four days into an argument that you can’t even remember. Here are a few tips on how to make it last forever or at least longer than my marriage lasted.
– Say you’re sorry if you’re wrong – Sounds simple but some people are way too stubborn when it comes to this.
– Choose your battles – Rest assured you’ll have another opportunity to be the victor. Let it go every now and then just because.
– Do unto others – This oldie but goodie still works believe it or not! Treat him the way you want to be treated.
– Learn to be a good listener – No one likes to be cut off and talked over.
– Don’t compare – Your husband is not your best friends husband or your sister’s husband, he’s your husband. Give him the benefit of the doubt and allow him to be himself.
– Be nice – Just do it.
– Be quiet – Just don’t talk sometimes, at all.
– Do and say the unexpected – We tend to become predictable in relationships. If you want to really shock him, shake things up and do the exact opposite of what he’s expecting you to do or say.
– Remember to have fun – Don’t take everything so serious, he fell in love with the part of you that was able to have a little fun.
Sid Powell is the NAACP nominated screenplay writer of ‘Somebody’s Child’, a mother of two, and the owner of SIDPo Productions. Read more about how SIDPo Productions is ‘Changing Everything’ at http://www.sidpoproductions.com.