How do you get back in the dating game, after a nasty split?
If you are asking yourself this question, you are not alone. In 2007, I separated from my ex-husband. It was not until 2010, that my divorce was finalized. Yeah, that’s right… 3 years! After a long drawn out custody battle and a few deployments in between, I was emotionally and mentally exhausted.
Starting over was one of my worst nightmares and not having a father figure around for my child followed close behind.
Despite friends advice to just jump back out there, I took 3 years off. No boys. No sex. Just healing.
It was not until a few months after my divorce was ruled final, that I allowed myself to open up. Only problem was, I had no idea how. I had never really dated and everything seemed so different.
If it weren’t for one of my homeboys and his at the time, silly rules, I’d probably be that awkward girl in the corner of the club.
So pay attention ladies and let these steps help you put your best
face well foot forward.
1. She’s got a pretty face: Halle Berry, Halle Berry! Men love a pretty face. Let’s face it, before they check for the goodies, they zoom in on your face. Ladies, please remember you don’t have cake up on the make up. No one likes a joker! Keep it simple, natural, and fresh!
2. Say cheese: Show those pearly whites ladies! Nothing warms the heart like a gorgeous gal with the ability to laugh and smile!
3. She’s got that good, good hair: Weaves and wigs are out! Whether you’re growing out a perm, rocking braids, or freshly shaven, you hair do’ says a lot about you! And what’s more fierce than a natural crop that says “This is ME! Hear me roar!”
4. Style is key: Yeah, they’re looking at what you’re rocking! So, is your look saying saying class or trash? How you present yourself to the world, says volumes on who you are and where you’re going.
5. Mean shoe game: After you splurge on a little pedi
No claws allowedtry on a heel for size. Sneakers are great for running errands but there’s nothing more lady like, than a cute kitten heel.
6. Assets: A healthy lifestyle is the key to a banging body.
While these rules were all a little annoying and shallow to me in the beginning, I realized that just a little effort can go a long way.
Words By: Ruthie Hawkins