Taking care of the environment is on everyone’s mind right now and we all mean to do our part, but let’s face it, sometimes it all just seems way too complicated. Are you really going to learn how to compost? Yeah, we didn’t think so. Every little bit helps, so here are some easy — and even fun — ways to go green.
1. Invite a bunch of earth-loving Madames over for a green cleaning party and learn how to whip up non-toxic homemade cleaners. The party planning information is available from Women’s Voices for the Earth, a national advocacy organization.
2. While the ladies are over, serve organic wine at your soirees. Organic wine is made without insecticides and other synthetic chemicals. Check out the Organic Wine Company.
3. Upgrading to that fancy new iPhone? Recycle your old cell phone. According to the Environmental Protection Agency : “Recycling cell phones helps the environment by saving energy and keeping usable materials out of landfills. Cell phones and PDAs are made of precious metals, copper, and plastics-all of which require energy to mine and manufacture. Recycling conserves these materials so they can be turned into new products.”
4. You can also donate other electronics such as computers. Reconnect, which is managed by Dell and Goodwill Industries, accepts any brand of used laptops, computers, printers and other equipment for recycling. Proceeds go to Goodwill and the donation is tax-deductible.
5. Take that tax deduction shopping, but think vintage. Buying your clothes and accessories from vintage boutiques and consignment shops is the most fashionable way to recycle. Shopping second-hand reduces consumption and you don’t have to contend with everyone copying your style. Check out the Fashion Dig database for locations of vintage shops near you.