Looking to watch a Black film and in the mood for something other than Tyler Perry? There are many Black independent directors, writers and actors who are making quality, complex films that will make you laugh and touch your heart. Some of these works are by artists who have worked hard to make these films without big studio bankrolls. Due to lack of promotion and distribution, many folks have no idea that these great films even exist. There are also some brilliant classic Black films that many of us have not been exposed to. These poignant works deserve some shine and we need to demand that they receive adequate marketing and are made widely available. However, that’s a topic for another post. For now, please load up your Netflix queue with these flicks or support them in the theaters. Here is a list of great independent or lesser-known Black films past and present.
More on Madame Noire!
- Whatchu Know About That?! 10 Songs I Shouldn't Have Been Singing As A Kid
- Here Comes The Mess: The Tackiest, Over-The-Top Wedding Shows On TV
- Breakout Actors From Ensemble Casts Who've Managed To Stay Relevant On Their Own
- Time For A Check Up: Celebrities Who Are Coping With Serious Illnesses
- 14 Rules To Follow When Getting Back With Your Ex
- Because One Awkward Hook-Up Isn't Enough: Celebs Who Repeatedly Date Their Co-Stars
- Way Before That Hiatus From Music: 9 Big Songs You Probably Didn't Know Keri Hilson Wrote
Lyfe Jennings Lands ‘Ratchet-Free’ Reality Show With His Kids That He Swears Will Be Nothing Like ‘All My Baby Mamas’
But he does have some baby mama drama.Read More
Mommy In Chief
His voice is so smooth.Read More
Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN