It’s funny the things that Netflix can bring into your life. A documentary lover and ’90s movie buff, Netflix actually recommended that I check out little documentary called Paris is Burning a few years ago, and after watching Just Another Girl on the I.R.T. for the umpteenth time, I decided to give this film a try. I have watched it about three more times since. Not only is it extraordinarily entertaining, it’s a landmark film for the lens it puts on ball culture, and the adversities people who participated in them dealt with. And we’re not just talking about being part of the LGBT community, but also being poor, and being black and Latino in New York City in the mid-to-late ’80s. But this isn’t a sad documentary, it’s more of a celebration of a culture and a very special time. In honor of LGBT Pride month, I wanted to show love to a documentary that is a must-see by discussing the 10 best things about it.
- MN Business
- Follow MadameNoire on Instagram
- Follow MadameNoire on Tumblr
- Like MadameNoire on Facebook
- Follow MadameNoire on Twitter
- Subscribe to MadameNoire on YouTube
- Follow MadameNoire on Pinterest
- Follow MadameNoire on Google+
- Subscribe to MadameNoire
- Don't Shoot
- Protests Take Place In More Than 30 States, In More Than 170 Cities On Tuesday, Blocking Major Highways, Tunnels And Bridges
- “It Definitely Set Us Back”: New Yorkers Share Their Thoughts On The Grand Jury Decision, Ferguson And The Value Of Black Life
- Mike Brown’s Friend Who Was With Him The Day He Was Killed Speaks On His Disappointment With The Grand Jury Decision
- “We Are Still Being Lynched”: Ferguson Activists, Business Owners And Residents Speak On Grand Jury Decision, Chaos That Followed
- “F**k The Police”: Protests Erupt Nationwide Over Indictment Decision, Including ‘Die-Ins’ And Marches Blocking Highways
Subscribe to MadameNoire on YouTube!
Sign up for the newsletter.
MadameNoire is a sophisticated lifestyle publication that gives African-American women the latest in fashion trends, black entertainment news, parenting tips and beauty secrets that are specifically for black women. Black women seek information on a wide variety of topics including African-American hair care, health issues, relationship advice and career trends - and MadameNoire provides all of that.
MadameNoire ® Copyright © 2010-2014 Moguldom Media Group. All Rights Reserved | Moguldom Multicultural