It’s funny the things that Netflix can bring into your life. A documentary lover and ’90s movie buff, Netflix actually recommended that I check out little documentary called Paris is Burning a few years ago, and after watching Just Another Girl on the I.R.T. for the umpteenth time, I decided to give this film a try. I have watched it about three more times since. Not only is it extraordinarily entertaining, it’s a landmark film for the lens it puts on ball culture, and the adversities people who participated in them dealt with. And we’re not just talking about being part of the LGBT community, but also being poor, and being black and Latino in New York City in the mid-to-late ’80s. But this isn’t a sad documentary, it’s more of a celebration of a culture and a very special time. In honor of LGBT Pride month, I wanted to show love to a documentary that is a must-see by discussing the 10 best things about it.
- MN Business
- Follow MadameNoire on Instagram
- Follow MadameNoire on Tumblr
- Like MadameNoire on Facebook
- Follow MadameNoire on Twitter
- Subscribe to MadameNoire on YouTube
- Follow MadameNoire on Pinterest
- Follow MadameNoire on Google+
- Subscribe to MadameNoire
- Don't Shoot
- Must Watch: Black Mothers’ New Year’s Resolutions For America
- “This Has To Be The Cruelest Thing I’ve Ever Seen”: New Video Shows Sister Of Tamir Rice Being Tackled, Handcuffed By Police After Shooting
- Ferguson Grand Juror Suing Prosecutor Robert McCulloch; Says He Focused More On Michael Brown Than Darren Wilson When Presenting Case
- #RIPAntonioMartin: 18-Year-Old Black Teen Fatally Shot By Cop In Berkeley, MO
- “All Cops Ain’t Bad”: The Problem With The Feel Good Cop Viral Videos…
Subscribe to MadameNoire on YouTube!
- Trending On Social
Sign up for the newsletter.
MadameNoire is a sophisticated lifestyle publication that gives African-American women the latest in fashion trends, black entertainment news, parenting tips and beauty secrets that are specifically for black women. Black women seek information on a wide variety of topics including African-American hair care, health issues, relationship advice and career trends - and MadameNoire provides all of that.
MadameNoire ® Copyright © 2010-2015 Moguldom Media Group. All Rights Reserved | Moguldom Multicultural