Moms Are Bringing Home The Most Bacon In 40% Of U.S. Households, Says New Study

No Comments
May 29, 2013 ‐ By Jazmine Denise Rogers
Source: Shutterstock

Source: Shutterstock

A new study conducted by the Pew Research Center based on data collected by U.S. Census Bureau found that 40% of households with children under 18 years of age include mothers who are either the sole or primary source of income for the family. This is a huge jump from the date collected in 1960, which was a mere 11%.

The study goes on to note that these “breadwinner moms” are actually broken into two groups. 5.1 million (37%) of these women are married working mothers who just happen to make more than their husbands. The other 63% (8.1 million) are single moms. There is also a fairly large income gap between the two groups, with the median family income of the married mothers being $80,000 per year and $23,000 for the households led by single mothers.

The study also picked up on some other disproportionate demographics, including that a larger percentage of the aforementioned married mothers are White, college educated and slightly older. On the other hand, the single mothers were found more likely to be Black or Hispanic, younger and less likely to have a college degree.

The increased percentage of these “breadwinning moms” is attributed to the increasing number of women in the workforce. Women currently make up nearly half (47%) of the United States workforce.

More from Styleblazer

More from Mommynoire

MadameNoire Video

Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN