Revamp That Resume: Skills That Will Help You Land A Job
Is one of your New Year’s resolutions to get a new job? The job market right now is highly competitive so any little help you can get is necessary to land a new position.
According to Forbes, “The most in-demand jobs for the new year might be rooted in the booming computer industry, but it’s not only technical and programming chops that prospective hires should be showcasing.”
1) Critical Thinking: It is important to be able to use logic and reasoning to find solutions to problems at work or to tackle challenging projects.
2) Complex Problem Solving: This is different from critical thinking in that it involves “identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions,” explains Forbes. This is the ability to take action after the “critical thinking” process.
3) Judgment and Decision-Making: This is the ability to weigh the pros and cons of a situation and then making the appropriate decision.
4) Active Listening: Many people have trouble with this skill. Instead of hearing only what you want to hear, listen closely to what someone is saying. According to the magazine, this is “[g]iving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate and not interrupting.”
5) Computers and Electronics: Do you possess the knowledge of “circuit boards, processors, electronic equipment and computer hardware including applications and programs.” This one is a unique skill, but if you have an interest in it, it could pay off.
Other key skills that are in demand, include operations and systems analysis, computer programming, and sales and marketing.
With just over 5.4 million people receiving some type of unemployment benefit the week ended December 1, according to the Washington Post, many of them will be looking for a job in the coming weeks. Extras skills will help you stand out from the crowd — and it may mean going back to school to get them.