November 28, 2012 ‐ By madamenoire
Hi Damon,My name is Tiffani, My question is…… My friend and I been friends for twenty years. I have always have romantic feelings for him up until now,he recently ended his relationship. Lately,our relationship have been more than friends. At first I was happy I had no worries but now I’m fearful. I guess, this is stemming from my own insecurities and over thinking. I wanted to know how can I overcome my own self doubt about our relationship. He is a great guy and he have a lot of qualities I want in a man. And how can I be supportive during his break up.
First, I will say that it’s a good sign that you were able to be friends before the romance began. A huge problem I’ve noticed with many people’s relationships is that they’re dating people they wouldn’t be cool with if they didn’t happen to be seeing them. There are myriad reasons why this could occur—and by “myriad reasons” I mean “usually, they just think they’re hot, and don’t really care that they actually kind of hate them”—and there’s no sense in committing to someone if you wouldn’t be cool with them if you weren’t f@cking.
With that being said, two things about your situation concern me. One, it’s odd that you’ve been friends for this long and just now figured out that you’re attracted to each other. I mean, I can understand being cool with someone for a couple years before realizing you have deeper feelings, but 20? Not saying that it’s impossible to feel that way, but perhaps there are other emotional factors causing you to feel that way. Also, it doesn’t seem like it’s been that long since his break up, which raises the possibility that you might be a rebound.
I guess what I’m getting at is that you’re actually right to be concerned about the future of this relationship. I know things have been great so far for you and that’s great, but perhaps you two need to step back for a while and see if this is what you both really want. If it’s meant to be, then it’ll still be meant to be after the break.
More from Styleblazer
More from Mommynoire
“I Was Supposed To Be Dead:” Dave Hollister Talks Tragic Accident And Losing Himself In The Industry
Comment Disclaimer: Comments that contain profane or derogatory language, video links or exceed 200 words will require approval by a moderator before appearing in the comment section. XOXO-MN
- #DontShoot Report
- Racist Scumbags Create “Pop A N****r” Video Game Inspired By Mike Brown Murder
- #ArrestDarrenWilson Audio Of Mike Brown Shooting Authenticated [LISTEN]
- One Time Ain’t Isht!!! Chicago Police Commander Loses His Badge And Gun As He’s Charged For Putting His Piece In Suspect’s Mouth!
- Really??? Ferguson Police Allow Dogs To Pee On Flowers Left At Mike Brown Memorial Site By His Mother
- 911 Is A Joke: White Cops Caught On Camera Beating Black Man And Yelling “Stop Trying To Take My Gun” After He Puts His Hands Up
- TIME‘s “Negrophobia” Article Prompts Twitter Backlash [Photos]
- Killer Mike On Michael Brown’s Death: “This Is A Constitutional Argument” [VIDEO]
- Ferguson Cops Let Dog Urinate On Mike Brown Memorial, Sources Say
- African-American Ex-Police Chief Named Missouri’s Director of Public Safety
- The Game Enlists An All-Star Cast For Mike Brown Tribute, “Don’t Shoot” [LISTEN]
- Was Iyanla Vanzant Profiting Off Of Ferguson’s Pain?
- What White Folks Think About #JusticeForMikeBrown
- The Game, Diddy, Fabolous, Rick Ross, TGT And More Release Tribute Song For Mike Brown
- St. Louis County’s Racial Profiling Issue Is Bigger Than Mike Brown
- But Ferguson, What About Black On Black Crime?
- Michael Brown Tribute Drawing Sparks Outrage
- Remembering the Many Michael Browns: 5 Ways You Can Help End Injustice
- Look at Us: In Response to T.I.’s Open Letter on Ferguson
- Compton Gets Rifles: Do School Police Officers Really Need Military-grade Weapons?
- Trayvon’s Mother Leads The Way, Michael Brown’s Mom Keeps It Real
Subscribe to MadameNoire on YouTube!
Connect with us
Stay in the know.
Sign up for the newsletter.
Sign up for the newsletter.
More Popular Stories
It’s Official: Introducing Mr. and Mrs. Dwyane Wade! 53,016 Views
Oh, So This Is The Reason Mase Keeps Backsliding 26,797 Views