Brand Divas: Which Queen of Pop Embodies Your Brand?
Women rule pop music. They hold the top spots for digital downloads, money earned and albums sold. For the most part, the female dynamos dominating the music scene manage to coexist without stepping on each other’s toes. Each has a unique brand that allows them stay in their own lane.
This is why so much emphasis is placed on branding. In a crowded market, your brand sets you apart and allows you to attract an audience, even when other brands offer a similar product.
Developing your brand is as simple as embracing who you are and allowing your identity to influence how you do business. Here are a few concepts to help you articulate your brand:
- Mission – What do you do? What is your purpose?
- Offer – What are you selling?
- Relevance – How do you meet your audience’s needs?
- Values – What’s your personality? What is important to your brand?
Let’s look at how today’s reigning divas epitomize their brands. Which diva best matches your personal brand?Rihanna performing at the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. Image: Nicholas Hunt/PatrickMcMullan.com/Sipa USA (Sipa via AP Images)
Rihanna – The Vamp
Mission: Rihanna’s image has morphed through many phases since “Umbrella” launched the star into the pop stratosphere. In recent years, Rihanna has settled on being pop culture’s symbol of youth and sexuality. An unrelenting stream of singles and gossip ensure the singer’s flirtatious presence is constant.
Offer: A good time, and all the mistakes that come with it.
- Stay on trend. Rihanna molds her style and sound to mimic the pulse of pop culture.
- Stay on the scene. Rihanna doesn’t give her audience a chance to miss her. She constantly releases music, and her life provides endless fodder for entertainment outlets.
- Remove your filter. Rihanna’s potty mouth, suggestive lyrics, and unbridled sex appeal create an image of youthful rebellion her audience loves.
Values: unapologetic, open, risqué, trendy, fun