I just finished reading Gillian Flynn’s “Gone Girl,” a New York Times bestseller about a wife that goes mysteriously missing. **Spoiler Alert** Throughout the course of the book, you learn that her husband is not as a good as he seems, and that her marriage is in a shambles, which becomes clear after reading her diary. From jump, it seems like her husband is a textbook LifeTime wife-murderer. Then it’s revealed that the diary is a fake. Basically, right when you think you know what’s going on, you don’t know who to trust in the story.
That’s a scary concept: how can you know who is real and who is fake? How many white lies, half-truths, and omissions are people keeping from each other? Can you ever really trust what someone says? To be honest I don’t know if I could handle knowing all there is to know about a person, there are some truths I don’t want to know. But part of our human nature is curiosity about the unknown and we often times have difficulty accepting it, which is why Jack Nicholson’s classic line from A Few Good Men seems to fit perfectly when it comes to keeping it real – sometimes, “you can’t handle the truth!”
Sometimes, radical honesty is absolutely necessary. Telling your guy friend that you’re really not into him before he catches feelings, being up front with coworkers about your workload, letting your family know that you can’t deal with their dysfunction – those are the times when being blunt and upfront serves you well. For one thing, it involves you making the best decision for yourself (always good). For another, it keeps people’s expectations in check. Telling the truth in those circumstances usually has positive outcomes. Nobody ever has to guess where you stand on an issue because you let them know what it is and what it ain’t.
On the other hand, letting all of truth out of the honesty jar can be a step too far. There are some situations where ‘truthiness’ , the term Stephen Colbert created that is defined by Urban Dictionary as “the quality of stating concepts one wishes or believes to be true, rather than the facts,” is crucial to your survival. When your lover asks you what you are wearing right now, you don’t always have to tell him ‘hole-y granny panties that used to be white.’ If your sister asks you if her boyfriend is cute, just nod up and down and say ‘mmmm’ – no need to tell her that her man looks like a swamp donkey. Saving face is not always bad, especially if it’s not going to harm anyone.
Keeping it overly real has the tendency to go wrong at some point, as the uppercut bus driver is finding out all too well. I just try to make sure what I say is honest enough to keep me from getting struck down by lightening. Telling it like it is can put you in hot water sometimes, but like the old adage says, honesty is the best policy.
- MN Business
- Follow MadameNoire on Instagram
- Follow MadameNoire on Tumblr
- Like MadameNoire on Facebook
- Follow MadameNoire on Twitter
- Subscribe to MadameNoire on YouTube
- Follow MadameNoire on Pinterest
- Follow MadameNoire on Google+
- Subscribe to MadameNoire
- #DontShoot Report
- Greek Gang: Ferguson Police Captain Ron Johnson’s Fraternity Hand Sign Mistaken As “Gang Sign” By The Washington Post
- Police Officer Caught On Camera Pointing Gun And Threatening To Kill Peaceful Ferguson Protester Suspended Indefinitely
- National Guard Member Told CNN Producer ” You Want To Get Out Of Here B’Cuz You’re White… Never Know What These Ferguson N*****s Will Do” [Video]
- Let The Bulls**t Begin: Police Department Source Claims Cop Who Murdered Mike Brown Was “Severely Beaten” During Confrontation
- Uncle Tomasina: “GOP Black Chick” Says If Mike Brown Was Shot By A Black Cop No One Would Care And Twitter EXPLODES!
- Nelly Explains Why Ferguson Uproar Was Bound To Happen [VIDEO]
- Spike Lee Tells Anderson Cooper “There’s A War On The Black Male”
- Killer Mike Pens Insightful Op-Ed Of Ferguson’s Unrest
- 47 People Arrested In Ferguson After Water Bottle Set Police Off [Photos]
- Alpha Phi Alpha To Pay #MikeBrown’s Funeral Costs
- Michael Brown Memorial Service Set For Monday
- T.I. Condemns Ferguson Protesters: “Look At Us. Rebels Without A Cause”
- Have You Noticed A Lack Of News About Ferguson On Your Facebook Page?
- “Honor Your Son And His Life”: Trayvon Martin’s Mother Pens Open Letter Of Support To Michael Brown’s Family
- Twitter Explodes With Call To #ArrestDarrenWilson
- Compton Gets Rifles: Do School Police Officers Really Need Military-grade Weapons?
- Trayvon’s Mother Leads The Way, Michael Brown’s Mom Keeps It Real
- Mother to Mother: Trayvon Martin’s Mother Writes Open Letter to Michael Brown Family
- There’s An App for That: Teens Create “Five-O” to Document Police Brutality
- Touching Tribute: Melissa Harris Perry Remembers Multitude of Black Men Killed by Police
Subscribe to MadameNoire on YouTube!
Sign up for the newsletter.
MadameNoire is a sophisticated lifestyle publication that gives African-American women the latest in fashion trends, black entertainment news, parenting tips and beauty secrets that are specifically for black women. Black women seek information on a wide variety of topics including African-American hair care, health issues, relationship advice and career trends - and MadameNoire provides all of that.
MadameNoire ® Copyright © 2010-2014 Moguldom Media Group. All Rights Reserved | Moguldom Multicultural