We know both Meagan Good and her new hubby DeVon Franklin weren’t sexually active before they got married, but what some might be surprised to know is how long DeVon was celibate before he and Meagan even got together.
In an interview with Global Grind, the producer, author, and part-time pastor told the interviewer he went without sex for more than 10 years before jumping the broom. He explained his decision to forego sex, saying:
“Sometimes we want to be this person at home, this person at the office, and this person at church and then we get the lines mixed up. We want to be different people in different situations and it tears you apart.
“What was happening with me is I would go and preach one thing, but then I was living another, and I could not do it. I could not look at myself in the mirror. No, I could not live like this. So, I had to just stop and say, ‘until I get married, that’s off the table.’”
Since DeVon is 34 now, that means he gave up sex somewhere in his very early 20s which is virtually unheard of for a man, and any undergrad, male or female, on a college campus, let alone USC. Suddenly the meaning of his book Produced by Faith is starting to become a lot clearer. Abstinent days now behind him, DeVon is certainly enjoying the fruits of his labor.
“I’m happy,” he told Global Grind. “I just got married. It’s great. Things are great because she’s great. We’ve been married for just over three months and that was a key to happiness.”
“Men, sometimes we run from [marriage.], but I’m telling you it’s a blessing. It is the greatest blessing of life to have be able to have love because then you’re at peace…no matter what happens career-wise, you have a home base.”
Looks like he made the right choice. Do you think you could you go more than a decade without sex?
More on Madame Noire!
- Listen Up Ladies: 14 Universal Truths About Love That Will Help You Find The One Faster
- Why Do A Flood Of Good Men Come Your Way When You’re Taken, But Very Few Do When You’re Single And Ready To Mingle?
- An Open Letter To Men Who Spit All The Time: WTF Is Going On In Your Mouth?!
- Childless And Chilling: Do Black Women Feel Pressure From Others To Procreate?
- Ask A Very Smart Brotha: Should I Date An Insecure Man?
- Is It Just Me, Or Is Everyone Trying To Copy Aaliyah’s Style? 9 Celebs And Folks Who Tried (And Failed)
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind The Making Of “Dreamgirls”