Are you ready to feel old? Ten years ago today, Brown Sugar hit theaters and reminded us all of the moment we first fell in love with hip hop…or that cute boy next door. In the midst of the drama-filled reality TV era that brought us such passionate (and tumultuous) love affairs as Evelyn Lozada and Chad Ochocinco, we wouldn’t mind a little old fashioned black romance. Not that Brown Sugar was completely without drama. A love triangle between a man, his wife and his best friend is plenty. To celebrate the film’s ten year anniversary, we’re looking back at the film’s two leading ladies, Sanaa Lathan and Nicole Ari Parker. Take a look at what they wore back then, and imagine what they’d wear in 2012!
Sanaa’s character, Sidney Shaw, was your average around the way girl – smart, sassy, effortlessly beautiful, and sporty. In the scene where she met Dre (played by Taye Diggs) at the park to discuss his decision to leave his job we loved Sid’s effortless leather blazer, jeans,and sneakers. It’s not hard to see why Dre is so smitten with his BFF. Updating the look was a cinch! After dating that fine Mr. Kelby Dawson (played by Boris Kodjoe), Sid’s look got a little more feminine and sophisticated. A femmed up peplum cut leather jacket and tee are right up her alley, and we swapped out her regular sneakers for a pair of wedge sneakers. Viola: welcome to 2012!
Read more at StyleBlazer
var useSSL = 'https:' == document.location.protocol;
var src = (useSSL ? 'https:' : 'http:') +
style="color: crimson; font-size: large;">More on Madame Noire!
- Where Are They Now? The Real Hollywood Exes (And Mistresses) Of Music’s Biggest Players
- True Life: I Had To Learn The Hard Way
- Self-Pity? No Thanks: Why I Love The Chocolate Skin I’m In
- Well That’s…Interesting: Mimi Is Writing A Book On Warning Signs Of Dating Men In The Industry
- Ask A Very Smart Brotha: Why Falling In Love Is A Choice (And Why I Hate Romantic Comedies)
- Fall Into Your Feelings: How Autumn Will Affect Your Love Life
- Well, You Don’t Say: 9 Celebrities, Ballers, Authors And Vixens You Might Not Have Known Were Virgin Islanders