I can’t keep up with the Govan sisters and their secret, pretend, maybe marriages.
At the end of last month, a marriage certificate popped up with Gloria Govan and Matt Barnes’ names on it while they were simultaneously featured in Rolling Out magazine saying they weren’t ready to take that step yet. Now her sister Laura is claiming to already be married to her longtime fiance Gilbert Arenas–sort of.
In an Q&A with Celebuzz, the interviewer casually referred to Gilbert as Laura’s husband and she didn’t bat an eye, or manage to correct him, when she answered his question. Oddly though, the same interviewer then asked her when the two were going to get hitched, considering they’ve been together for 12 years. That’s when Laura said:
“We actually kinda got married. We did the whole, ‘I do. I do,’ we just haven’t had a wedding,”
Then she added:
“When the time is right… We’re just not in a hurry to go spend $2 million. That’s what my price range is. My ring is worth $1 million, so I had to double the wedding.”
Raise your hand if you’re confused. I can’t tell if Laura is saying she and Gilbert went down to the courthouse and did the dang thang or if they were just chilling around the house one day and made some sort of verbal commitment to each other. Also, I’m thinking if Gilbert had $1 million to drop on an engagement/wedding ring, coming up with $2 million for a wedding shouldn’t be a problem. I can’t help but wonder if that’s the real hold-up. Something about the way Laura talks and answers questions just makes her seem disingenuine. I can’t even tell if she and Gilbert are still together after he eased up on that gag order he had out on her, much less whether they’re married. Maybe something will be revealed on this season of “Basketball Wives LA.”
Do you think Laura and Gilbert are really married?
More on Madame Noire!
- An Open Letter To Men Suffering From Light-Skinned, Long Hair Syndrome: I’m Not Flattered
- Amending The Girl Code: When Your Friend Gets Married, Are Her Ex-Boos Fair Game?
- That Time An Old White Man Entertained Me With Tales Of Colored People On A Flight
- What Do Men Want? Who Cares…
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind The Making Of “Why Do Fools Fall In Love”
- C’Mon Now: Black Celebrities That White Folks Mistake For One Another (But They DON’T Look Alike…)
- Damn Mr. Right, I Need Mr. Right Now! 7 Signs You’re Too Thirsty For Someone To Put A Ring On It