It’s About Time: Columbia Residents Rename ‘Co*n Hunt Court’ After Years Of Petitioning
From The Grio
After seven months of petitioning, a group of Columbia, Maryland residents gathered Monday for an official ceremony revealing their neighborhood’s new street name.
Coon Hunt Court has now been changed to April Wind Court, the Baltimore Sun reported.
“For more than 175 years, the word ‘coon’ represented racism and bigotry against African-American people,” April Wind Court resident Ambrose Lane Jr. said at the ceremony. “We come here today to right the wrong, to correct the mistake, to continue James Rouse’s vision and dream of an inclusive, neighborly, and multiracial Columbia community.”
Read more at The Grio
More on Madame Noire!
- Damn Mr. Right, I Need Mr. Right Now! 7 Signs You’re Too Thirsty For Someone To Put A Ring On It
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind The Making Of “Why Do Fools Fall In Love”
- When Girl Crushes Go Wrong: The Thirst Of Wanting To Fit In
- When Pretty Girls Wear The Wrong Make-Up! 10 Celebs Who Can’t Get Their Faces Right
- Where Are They Now? Contestants from “The White Rapper Show” & “Miss Rap Supreme”
- C’Mon Now: Black Celebrities That White Folks Mistake For One Another (But They DON’T Look Alike…)
- Cuz I Said So! Celebs We Don’t Like…Just Because We Don’t!