Lifetime just might be on to something. On Sunday night when the network aired the world premiere of the all-black “Steel Magnolias” remake, the film made history, becoming Lifetime’s third most-watched original telecast ever.
The flick, starring Jill Scott, Queen Latifah, Alfre Woodard, Phylicia Rashad, Condola Rashad, and Adepero Oduye brought in a record 6.5 million viewers. Interestingly, this is the best film debut since Lifetime aired the Fantasia Barino Story “Life is Not a Fairy Tale” in 2006. “Steel Magnolias” also became the number one cable movie among total viewers since 2007. In other words, this movie was a big deal.
This weekend, Lifetime aired another African American interest movie, the “Abducted: The Carlina White Story,” featuring Keke Palmer and Sherri Shepherd which also brought in high numbers, averaging 4.1 million total viewers. Rob Sharenow, Executive Vice President of Programming for Lifetime Networks said in a statement:
“We couldn’t be happier with the great response Steel Magnolias and Abducted: The Carlina White Story received from viewers this weekend. These incredible numbers speak to the powerful stories and performances delivered by amazing casts and the strong production teams behind each movie. We are very proud to have partnered with them on these very special films.”
The Lifetime junkie in me definitely hopes this means the network will start showing more African American stories. Did you catch “Steel Magnolias” or “The Carlina White Story” this weekend? What did you think?
More on Madame Noire!
- Damn Mr. Right, I Need Mr. Right Now! 7 Signs You’re Too Thirsty For Someone To Put A Ring On It
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind The Making Of “Why Do Fools Fall In Love”
- When Girl Crushes Go Wrong: The Thirst Of Wanting To Fit In
- When Pretty Girls Wear The Wrong Make-Up! 10 Celebs Who Can’t Get Their Faces Right
- Where Are They Now? Contestants from “The White Rapper Show” & “Miss Rap Supreme”
- C’Mon Now: Black Celebrities That White Folks Mistake For One Another (But They DON’T Look Alike…)
- Cuz I Said So! Celebs We Don’t Like…Just Because We Don’t!