“You Don’t Know Me Well Enough To Use That Tone”: ELLE Covergirl Octavia Spencer Talks Getting Bullied In Hollywood
For ELLE magazine’s new “Women in Hollywood” issue, the magazine enlisted not only women like Sarah Jessica Parker for the cover (a usual face–don’t front), they also asked sista girl Octavia Spencer to sit and get glammed up for her own separate magazine cover. The Oscar-winning actress, who made a huge name for herself after playing the outspoken, headstrong maid, Minny, in The Help, put on her big hair and some fly fashions for the shoot. Inside the magazine, Spencer talked about the bullying she had to deal with in Hollywood as she tried to make a name for herself. In fact, she called out, without naming names specifically, a famous producer who tried to play her in front of a group of people in a crowded office, and told the magazine that even though he made her cry, she had to put him in his place first:
“Early on I had to stand up to a producer – I won’t say who, but he is famous, famous. He dressed me down in a crowded office. I told him right there in front of a hundred people, ‘You don’t know me well enough to use that tone’…And then I ran to the bathroom and cried like a baby. But he never addressed me that way again. And he is known as a yeller.”
I know that’s right! I think we’ve all heard the stories from celebrities about rude and/or very thirsty movers and shakers in Hollywood who use their clout to make people do just about anything, or treat them like crap. Good to see Spencer pulled her backbone out and stood up for herself, and of course, knew that a smart lady always cries like a baby in the bathroom–never in public. *winks*
If you’re aching to find out what else Spencer had to say in her interview, you know what to do–pick up the new issue of Elle when it drops on newsstands on Oct. 16!But in the meantime, check out more foxy images of this very lovable lady.
More on Madame Noire!
- Did You Know They Dated!? 11 Celebrity Couples You Might Have Forgotten About
- What Makes Me A Hoe? And Other Questions About How Women Are Unfairly Labelled
- Is It Time To Call Tyrone? 14 Ways To Know Whether Your Relationship Is Worth Fixing Or Nixing
- Loose Lipped Lovers: 10 Celeb Men Who Kiss & Tell
- We Love You Essence, But We’re Going To Need You To Get Some New Cover Subjects
- There’s Just Something About R. Kelly: Can We Hate The Sin, And Not The Sinner?
- Caught Up In College: A Cuffing Season Tale