The TV gods have heard our cries for better black shows on TV and sent us an angel by the name of Shonda Rhimes. We’re already in love with her scripted drama series like “Grey’s Anatomy,” which is serious about showing diversity on-screen, and I don’t even have to ask how much you all love Kerry Washington in “Scandal.” Now to top it all off, Ms. Rhimes is delving into the world of comedy, collaborating with Awkward Black Girl creator Issa Rae on a new half-hour sitcom, “I Hate L.A. Dudes.”
According to Deadline.com:
“‘I Hate L.A. Dudes’ centers on an aspiring journalist, new to Los Angeles, who becomes the lone female voice on a budding, male-driven Internet talk show, while learning to decode the often humiliating and exasperating rules of the LA dating scene. Rae, repped by UTA, 3 Arts and John Meigs, is writing/co-executive producing. Expanding into comedy has been a major priority for Shondaland, which established its brand in drama.”
The sitcom has already been sold to ABC, which pretty much loves anything Shonda does and this is a major move for Issa. There’s no word on when the series will debut but with the popularity of the “Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl” solely on the web, I know black girls everywhere will be checking for this new show, including us. Congratulations ladies! We can’t wait to see what they come up with.
More on Madame Noire!
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind The Making Of “The Wiz”
- One Time It Wouldn’t Hurt To Think Like A Man: The Take It Or Leave It Attitude
- Power Couples With Half The Fame: Celebrities With Non-Famous Partners
- Single Black Male: Why Do Men “Settle?”
- Evening Eye Candy: Ryan Reynolds
- No Need To Wonder: 15 Signs You’re Just A Toy To Him
- Where Are They Now? 11 Forgotten, Familiar and Favorite Faces From Some Of Our Favorite Spike Lee Joints