As someone who feels like an indentured servant to Sallie Mae, I’m struggling a bit with Taraji P. Henson’s parenting style.The actress appeared on Jimmy Falon earlier this week to talk about the next season of “Person of Interest” but when the late night host asked her about her 18-year-old son Marcel and whether she packed him up and shipped him off to college, she said quite the opposite. She kept him out of college to make him get a job and pay for school.
“Even though he is privileged, he doesn’t remember the bad times when we were eating Hamburger Helper and peanut butter and jelly for desert,” she told Jimmy. He remembers all the good times and I don’t want to raise this privileged kid, who’s out of touch, so I made him sit out the first semester and he has to get a job. He called his grandmother, he was like, ‘It’s hard out here, it’s hard to find a job.’ So I was like, ‘Yeah, I need you to know that.’”
“I need him to see how real it is out here. It builds character. I told him, ‘College is like an investment. I’m investing my money in your future, and if I feel like you’re a bad investment, I’m taking my money back.”
I’m hoping Taraji left out part of the story, like her son is an ungrateful rich snob, otherwise I don’t totally follow her thinking. I certainly get making her son work for his education but making him sit out of school to get a job that could never pay off the cost of that degree doesn’t translate to me. But that’s her boy. Hopefully he’ll be able to catch up when he’s finally allowed to enroll.
What do you think about Taraji keeping her son out of school?
More on Madame Noire!
- Where Are They Now? 8 Sassy And Silly Sidekicks From Some Of Our Favorite Black Sitcoms
- Finding Food In Your Bra And 6 Other Big-Breasted Girl Problems
- Do We Allow Men To Be The Fathers We Ask Them To Be?
- True Story: I Dated A Man With Horribly Bad Breath And Lived To Write About It
- True Life: My Birth Control Gave Me Crazy Side Effects
- Nobody Likes A Negative Nancy: Are You Optimistic About Dating?
- Did You Know They Dated (Part IV)? 14 Celeb Couples We Were VERY Surprised By