Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you know that gang violence in Chicago is completely off the charts right now. Crime has always been an issue in the large metropolitan area but with the rise of gangbanging teen rappers like 17-year-old Chief Keef and Lil Mouse, who is only 13 years old, the city has seen stats as high as 38 shootings and 3 homicides in one weekend.
Though NBA player Derrick Rose may have escaped the downtrodden streets of the Chi to earn a place on the Chicago Bulls squad, the Englewood native is not immune to the effects the environment has had on him and is still having on teens in the city. The 23-year-old was a part of a press conference for the launch of his new “D rose 3” sneaker with Adidas on Friday, but the reality of how far he’s come in spite of the death of violence surround him was overwhelming for the baller who broke down during questioning saying:
“It’s truly a blessing, man. With all of this stuff that’s going on in this city, a kid from Englewood got something positive going on. That makes me feel so good, man. This shoe is great, all this is great. But this, I can’t explain this…I can’t. I went through so much. To have like true fans, that means a lot to me. And I know it means a lot to my family, because we ain’t supposed to be here …at all. But God made a way. This is truly unreal.”
Derrick Rose already garners much respect from his fans and other athletes for his humility and his skills on the court, but this just raises the bar of admiration to a whole new level. Shout out to him for being an amazing role model and inspiration.
Check out the video clip below. What do you think?
More on Madame Noire!
- Is Ryan Gosling Singing Jodeci!? 9 White Celebrities And Their “Blackest” Moments
- Handle That For Me! Why I Want Him To Plan The Dates
- You Already Know Black Don’t Crack:15 Female Celebs Who Are Over 40 But Don’t Look It
- Where Are They Now? The Women of “Real Chance of Love”
- Are You A Rebound Queen? How To Tell If You’re Moving Too Fast…
- An Open Letter to My Single Sistas: Stop Searching For Him
- Ways to Wear Wine: Fall’s Hue Du Jour