From Black Voices
At a dinner party with some “friends” a few years ago, there was a longer than necessary conversation about “what’s wrong with Eleanore” (me) because I’m not married and I have no kids. I’m a spinster. A pretty amazing one, but a spinster, nonetheless. An active participant in the conversation was a woman who had just gone through her third divorce. Apparently I was the only one in the room who thought the conversation should really have been about “what’s wrong with Sharon?” I’m thinking to myself, “Why does this woman keep getting married?”
I am fascinated by this notion that marriage is still thought of as a must-do in modern-day society. It’s not. At least it shouldn’t be. Same thing with children. There’s no reason why every adult should procreate and I know that we can all think of an example or two as to why this is true.
Read more at Black Voices
More on Madame Noire!
- Did You Know!? 9 Our Favorite Celebs of Cuban Descent (And Some Surprises!)
- That Is Not Normal! The Glorification Of Dysfunctional Relationships
- The Thirst Files: Nothing’s Wrong With A Little E-Flirting Between Two Married People, Right?
- Just Another Sad Love Song: The Soundtrack to My Love Life
- You Don’t Have To Be Wonder Woman: The Importance of Vulnerability In Relationships
- Signs He Will NEVER Be Into You
- Single Black Male: The 5 Steps to Approaching A Woman