The casting for Lifetime’s upcoming original movie “Betty and Coretta” is getting better with time, thankfully. Mary J. Blige was the first person cast as Betty Shabazz, the wife of Malcolm X, in the flick which will chronicle the lives of the women beside the two most notable historical figures of the civil rights movement. A couple of weeks ago we learned that Angela Bassett will be playing opposite of Mary as Coretta Scott King, and now we know that Malik Yoba will take on the part of Martin Luther King, Jr.
On his Facebook page, Malik broke the news, writing:
I am feeling incredibly honored , just got cast as MLK JR in the Lifetime movie “Betty and Coretta” playing opposite Angela Bassett as “Coretta”…I am determined to do his legacy proud!!! GOD IS GOOD!!! But with me just rocking the mustache my 10 year old son keeps saying “Dad you look like a deputy! All you need is a brown uniform, and a hat!” Where do kids get this stuff? LOL!!!
Production will begin this month and Shadow and Act reports that Mary J is one of the movie’s producers so now that whole leading role thing makes sense. Angela and Malik definitely have the acting chops to take on Coretta and MLK. It will be interesting to see who’s cast as Malcolm X. Any suggestions?
More on Madame Noire!
- Did You Know!? 9 Our Favorite Celebs of Cuban Descent (And Some Surprises!)
- That Is Not Normal! The Glorification Of Dysfunctional Relationships
- The Thirst Files: Nothing’s Wrong With A Little E-Flirting Between Two Married People, Right?
- Just Another Sad Love Song: The Soundtrack to My Love Life
- You Don’t Have To Be Wonder Woman: The Importance of Vulnerability In Relationships
- Signs He Will NEVER Be Into You
- Single Black Male: The 5 Steps to Approaching A Woman