When Violator executive Chris Lighty committed suicide last Thursday, reporters took to the hip-hop manager’s pending divorce with his wife, Veronica, and the couple’s debt with the IRS to explain what drove him to the decision. Yesterday, in an interview with the NY Daily News outside of the couple’s Riverdale townhouse, Chris’s widow said neither explanation is accurate.
“My husband was too smart of a man. He was a genius. No smart man is going to leave his children for fighting with his wife,” she said. “That makes absolutely no sense.
“We had a passionate relationship. We fought all the time.”
At some point the fighting had become too much though, as Veronica sought to leave the father of six in 2011. Somewhere along the way she changed her mind.
“I had filed for divorce last year, but retracted it” two days before Father’s Day, she said. “That was my gift to him.”
As far as the reported financial difficulties go, Veronica said “We were not in debt $5 million.” That may be because the couple sold their $5.6 million Chelsea apartment to relocate to the Bronx. But they still weren’t totally out of the woods. According to the Associated Press:
City National Bank sued Lighty, whose given name is Darrell, in April, saying he had overdrawn his account by $53,584 and then refused to pay the balance. The case was still pending.
He also owed more than $330,000 in state and federal taxes, according to legal filings.
When the Daily News asked Veronica about those financial issues, she only said, “Chris had a lot of weight on his shoulders.”
That weight has no doubt fell on her plate now. Hopefully the grieving widow will be able to handle things better than her husband.
More on Madame Noire!
- Did You Know!? 9 Our Favorite Celebs of Cuban Descent (And Some Surprises!)
- That Is Not Normal! The Glorification Of Dysfunctional Relationships
- The Thirst Files: Nothing’s Wrong With A Little E-Flirting Between Two Married People, Right?
- Just Another Sad Love Song: The Soundtrack to My Love Life
- You Don’t Have To Be Wonder Woman: The Importance of Vulnerability In Relationships
- Signs He Will NEVER Be Into You
- Single Black Male: The 5 Steps to Approaching A Woman