The hip-hop manager behind mega-celebrities like 50 Cent, Mariah Carey, Ja Rule, and Diddy was found dead in his Bronx apartment around 11:30 am, NY Daily News reports. Authorities believe 43-year-old Chris Lighty died from a bullet to the head in what appears to be a suicide, as a gun was found next to his body.
The native New Yorker has a long history in the entertainment business as founder of Violator Entertainment, helping to build the careers of rappers like Busta Rhymes, Q-Tip, and N.O.R.E. As of last year, the rap business man seemed to have fallen on hard times when he split with his wife of seven years, Veronica, in November. The pending divorce was reportedly taking a huge financial toll on him, not to mention an emotional one, and NY Daily News says he also owed about $5 million to the IRS.
Even Lighty’s most recent messages on Twitter hint that he may not have been in a good place. As far back as July, he began detailing some of his troubles trying to rebuild his empire, and two weeks ago he tweeted, “Slavery is still alive and well in the music business.” Ironically one of his last personal tweets was a RIP message to someone else, while after that he retweeted the introspective message below.
All Hip Hop also indicates that Lighty’s suicide may have been planned as he had an auto-reply email message set up on his account which indicated that he would be hospitalized for an undisclosed ailment as of last night.
As details on this sad story come in, we definitely want to send our condolences to Chris Lighty’s family and all those who knew him.
More on Madame Noire!
- Bison Brothers: 10 Notable Men Who Attended Howard University
- When Cutting The “No Good” Men Out Of Your Life Includes Your Own Father
- Down With The Brown? Celebrities Who Look Black…But Aren’t
- Is That Just The Way She Is? Keeping Standards High and Expectations Real With Your Friendships
- The Thirst Files: How He Dickmatized Her
- Ratch On Ratch On Ratch: 7 Moments You Had To See From Part 1 Of The Love & Hip-Hop Reunion
- Heyello! 11 Bahamian Celebrities We Love And Per The Usual, A Few Surprises…