When we told you all last month that Mary J. Blige was going to be playing Betty Shabazz in a new Lifetime movie, “Betty and Coretta,” naturally the question was who would take on the role of Coretta Scott King. Many of you got your wish because Shadow & Act is reporting that none other than Angela Bassett will take on the part of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s wife. But doesn’t this seem like a bit of an actress mix-match?
Not only will the amazing Angela Bassett star in the movie, which will tell the story of how these single mothers carried on after their husbands, Martin Luther King, Jr and Malcolm X, were assassinated, the legendary Ruby Dee will also star in the film as a historical witness narrator.
Interestingly, we’ve already seen Angela Bassett as Betty Shabazz twice so perhaps she can lend her expertise to Mary J. as she prepares for this part in what has the potential to be a really amazing story. Mary has done her share of bit parts in films lately, mostly relying on her singing to carry her part, so she definitely has her work cut out for her. Production is set to begin next month so it’s looking like things are pretty final with casting. Hopefully Lifetime can pull this off.
What do you think about Angela Bassett and Mary J. in this movie?
More on Madame Noire!
- How I Learned To Stop Expecting My Vagina To Smell Like Roses And Just Loved It For What It Is
- Bison For Life: 10 Famous Ladies Who Went To Howard University
- Momma Dee on Bicth, Erica, Shay & Scrappy and Judgmental People
- Planet of the Naps: One Woman’s [Satirical] Story
- You Should Take Things Slow, But How Slow Is Too Slow? 7 Signs You’ve Been Put In The Dreaded “Gray Zone”
- Can’t Decide Whether to Stay or Go? Ask Yourself These 7 Questions
- Missed Opportunities: Did I Reject the Wrong Guy?