“The Champ Is Here”: Gabby Douglas Covers JET Magazine
The Olympics are over but Gabby Douglas is still flying high and this week the gold medalist landed on the cover of Jet Magazine.
Gabby’s JET cover story highlights her Olympic domination, daddy issues and the “hair controversy.” Amidst all the “drama” Gabby embraces her new place as a global role model with the goal to “inspire youth in all sports like the First Lady…” she tells JET.
The Gabby cover story also features her mother Natalie Hawkins who, among other things, protectively addresses the harsh media attention her daughter received, “…It’s kind of difficult for her to know what the right answer is because those are adult situations; and yet, you’re asking a child to elaborate on them.”
Gabby has been the target of harsh media coverage even after the initial hair-gate during the Olympics. The gymnast recently tweeted a picture of herself with hair stylist Ted Gibson and that set off another firestorm of crazy criticisms because apparently some believe that if you wear a ponytail while doing gymnastics then you should wear a ponytail every other minute of your life as well. Her coverage certainly hasn’t been all bad though. She’s been on shows like Good Morning America and Jay Leno and this Sunday she’ll be appearing on Oprah’s Next Chapter.
In an industry saturated with celebrities famous for embarrassing reality show antics and mediocre talent, it’s refreshing to see people like Gabby getting magazine covers.
What do you think of Gabby being on the cover of Jet?
Follow Alissa on Twitter @AlissaInPink
More on Madame Noire!
- You Know That’s Annoying, Right? 6 Things You’ve Got to Stop Saying to Your Single Friends
- Where Are They Now? The Women of “For the Love of Ray-J”
- Let’s Be Real Here, How Many Baby Showers Does One Mother Need?
- Thank God I Dodged A Bullet! That Feeling You Get When Your Ex Is A Mess
- A Memo To The Ladies of Love & Hip Hop: Commitment In a Relationship Should Never Be Up For Discussion
- Get It Mrs. Hines! Check The Behind-The-Scenes Pics Of Tichina Arnold’s Hawaii Wedding
- Bet You Didn’t Know: Secrets Behind The Making of “Diary of a Mad Black Woman”